WildeHilde

Clover hay VS Straw as mulch

I am about to buy a few bales of clover hay to add more nutrients to the soil and use as a mulch....trying out ruth stout Fukuoka style mix I am starting from scratch this year..want to begin heavy mulching this year and was thinking of using clover hay...the thought came to me when I saw growing white clover was one of his steps. I am working on imported river soil and wood compost amended only with greensand, organic plant food, and I dumped in half of my worm farm.
Would clover hay be a better mulch? or is straw better?
I don't mind some clover coming up at all. :wink:
Wilde Hilde

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Clover coming up isn't what you have to worry about when you use hay, it's weeds. I'd probably go with the straw.

applestar
Mod

I think you'll be interested in this thread:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21761

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I have a friend on the island that uses clover as a boarder around all her raised rows and aisles. She uses a Japanese sickle to harvest and mulch around plants.

I use both island grass (hay) and Eastern Washington straw. The hay goes to the duck house, as bedding, then to the garden. This gives a chance for the weeds to germinate or rot. Straw, I like to run it through the shredder or lawn mower before using. Smaller pieces are easier to distribute around small plants.

Eric

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”