jadeco
Newly Registered

What to do with potatoes with roots?

Hello, my boyfriend and I forgot about a bag of potatoes we had in a cupboard for some time and now they have roots! We're cooking some of them, but I'd like to plant some as a decorative indoor plant. Is this okay? Or should I just plant them outside? I live in zone 8 Portland, OR.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I've never thought of a potato as being a house plant. If they bloom they will look like this.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/Potato004.jpg[/img]

This is one of my Yukon Gold potatoes, I believe 2009.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The trouble with trying to grow them indoors would be getting enough light for them. Potatoes like full sun. ... But certainly they can be planted.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

When I was a very poor urban northeast student, I planted potato sprouts and carrot tops, stuff like that. I knew they wouldn't grow well for long, but gave me much needed cheer in springtime. They will get leggy and spindly before they die or you throw them out, but they'll look good for at least a few weeks.

jadeco
Newly Registered

That is a beautiful picture. Thank you all for the info!

Zouaoua

Not sure if this will be any help (or encouragement!) but here, (south england) they seem to be very easy to grow. They do need good sunlight like rainbowgardener said, although they do not need much water because they rot.

I have for the past 4/5 years pretty much shoved them in the ground after digging a little trench, then watered them only if there has been no water for about 2 weeks.

(I believe that the 'roots' are in fact little 'chits' as the potatoes have gone to seed and 'chitted') please correct me if I am wrong though!
Good luck with the indoor potatoe! :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”