does planting food bearing plants in the ground at a new housing development pose a risk of becoming contaminated and harmfull from residual construction materials?

No, not at all.
No votes
Yes, but the friut and veggies will be fine
No votes
Yes, the plants will become contaminated and fruit and veggies will become unedible.
No votes
Stop being a hypochondriac and plant them in the ground already!
100%

Total votes: 5
morbe
Newly Registered

I'm new to Organic Gardening and had some questions.

Hello everyone my name is Mike and I live in Texas. I'm very new to gardening. Okay I know how to read the labels on the veggies and plants that I buy. Add some sun and some water and hope for the best is my level of expertise. Okay enough with the introductions.

The Background - I have a lime tree, two sunflowers, two Blackberrys, one blueberry, one garlic all growing in large pots. My lime tree has been in a pot for most of its life. (we purchased it from a nursery with limes on it). I transplanted to a larger pot that its been in for about three years now. the last two years it failed to produce any limes. My berries are growing slow and producing little. Sunflowers seemed to be fine. My wife keeps boasting that her mothers blueberries and blackberries and an orange tree they planted are all growing out of control with plenty of fruit. My wife keeps begging me to plant these plants in the ground has her mother did.

The Details - Now me and my wife both moved into a new housing development and its still in the first phase of construction. Our house today is exactly a year old! We live in the lower part of the subdivision where when it rains we get alot of a lot of run off from the constructions that are happening up the hill.

The Question - My question and concern is that if I do plant these in the ground, alot of the run off from the constructions washing into our yard, residual construction material possibly left under our grass, and run off from other yards with pecticides, and chemicals for growing grass will ultimatley find their way to my yard and into my plants. Does any one know if this is a big concern? I really don't want to plant my plants in the ground if the fruit has a chance of becoming contaminated and harmfull.

Thank you for reading.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Do you eat food from a grocery store? :shock: If so, is it from outside the USA? If so, how do you know what your are eating isn't grown with poisons banned in the US? Just get them plants in the ground and get on with it! :D I can't think of anything used in common construction that is that bad for you, after all, you live in the house don't you? :lol:

morbe
Newly Registered

hit or miss wrote:Do you eat food from a grocery store? :shock: If so, is it from outside the USA? If so, how do you know what your are eating isn't grown with poisons banned in the US? Just get them plants in the ground and get on with it! :D I can't think of anything used in common construction that is that bad for you, after all, you live in the house don't you? :lol:
Very True about living in the house. For the most part it didnt make any one sick. I was thinking about buying storage tubs from walmart and making them huge planters, but I'm sure there not BPA free.

But as far as the grocery store comment. I live in Texas and I shop at HEB and with the exception of some exotic fruits and veggies. all the produce is grown locally by Texas Farmers.

applestar
Mod

I think it is a valid concern. Back when the Obamas moved in, they tested the new White House vegetable garden plot soil and found high levels of contaminants, didn't they? I believe that was AFTER the big media circus that started with a Brooklyn(?) resident finding unacceptable levels of lead in the ground and opted to build high boxed raised beds.

Being downhill doesn't bode well. Not only construction runoff -- including fuel, etc. used by the equipment, but future landscaping chemicals used by the residents upslope.

Small containers are not going to let your plants grow, but you *could* consider building large planter boxes, concrete planters, or using large half barrels, especially since you probably don't have to worry about winter deep freezes like I do. Since you are talking trees and shrubs, you want at least 24" diameter per plant for optimal growth. Research other options like stock waterers. (Look up urban roof gardens) I'm still on the fence about plastic and galvanized steel containers however....

It's a good idea to have your soil tested by the agricultural extension office.

P.S. You can plant stuff like garlic and other dibles around the edge of the planter. As for sunflowers, if they are not for eating, you could just plant them in the ground. Otherwise, look for shorter varieties that might do better in contenders, but they grow deep and wide roots.

morbe
Newly Registered

I wonder how I get a hold of the agricultural office here in Texas where I live? My wife is a new age hippy and if they find something crazy that will just open another can of worms.
My Sunflowers are for eating, Right now I have them in two large pots about 1 foot and a half deep. I think I can maybe find untreated wood and make large planters I never thought of that before.
Thanks

Hitched_Gibson

morbe wrote:I wonder how I get a hold of the agricultural office here in Texas where I live?
I googled "Montgomery County cooperative extension" and got https://montgomery-tx.tamu.edu/

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”