mtgarden gal

when should I till?

Hi all, first year gardener here!
I live in zone 4 and our last frost date is May 15th.
When should I start tilling my soil? should I till more than once? what is the best type of store bought compost/soil to add to my garden? I will be growing:
bell peppers
tomatoes
zuchnnini
yellow squash
brocolli
beans
peas
onions

Thanks!

mtgarden gal

Marlingardener,
thanks for your reply! :D A couple questions:
You said I can put peas, broccoli and onions in before my last frost date. How far before? once they've sprouted, if it frosts, wont that kill the plants?

I've thought about starting my own compost pile, but I don't know if it will/can happen. Even if it does, I still need store bought for this year. Any recommendations on a good brand/ mixture?
I haven't taken my soil to be tested yet. I need to do that.
It's a good thing I asked about tilling. I did not know it needed to be done multiple times. I would have tilled once, then planted.

SOB
Green Thumb

The cold weather plants can be planted as soon as the soil is workable...meaning loose and mostly dry. If it freezes after they sprout it's not a problem. The green sprout might die but it will come back.

mtgarden gal

Thanks, SOB, for the info! I have a feeling I'm going to learn a lot from you guys! :D

mtgarden gal

Marlingardener,
Thanks! That's some great advice and much appreciated! :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have no idea what zone 4 means, I don't even know what zone I live in.

Here in Tennessee we typically have out last frost about April 20. When I till depends on the weather I need about 4 days of warm sunny weather with no rain so the soil is dry enough to till. I till every day for a week early in the morning so the sun will cook and kill all the grass and weeds. After that I am ready to plant just as soon as the weather conditions are right.

I could plant tomatoes now but I will need to be prepaired to cover them up at night if we get frost.

Don't plant any seeds in the soil until the soil has warmed up to 65 degrees F unless it is a cold weather crop like peas, carrots, potatoes, onion. That is about the first week of May for me.

mtgarden gal

Thanks Gary350!
I actually did not know that carrots and onions were cold weather crops.
so what are all the crops that are considered cold/cool weather crops that can be planted early?
Thanks!

Artemesia
Cool Member

Below is a link to the Montana ag extension agencies. Contact your county for dates. Each county is slightly different.

https://www.msuextension.org/localoffices.cfm

mtgarden gal

thanks, Artemesia!!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”