firstimegardener
Cool Member

What to put in my water

Ok, so I've been reading about how some put chamomile and cinnamon in their water to help different fungus (?) issues. I am wondering how to dilute it.

Also, how do you find out all this stuff? I've been looking for info like this all winter, but can never find it. Does anyone know of more websites that I can bookmark?

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do that for my indoor seedlings only. Baby seedlings in potting soil indoors are very prone to a fungal condition called damping off, which kills them. Baby seedlings can't be allowed to dry out and indoors there's not a lot of air circulation. So continuous moisture and not enough air circulation leads to the fungus. And once you have the fungus you also tend to have fungus gnats. The larvae of those eat the roots of the seedlings. Very bad.

I just sprinkle a tiny bit (like a small pinch) of powdered cinnamon in a pitcher of water that I use to water with (bottom watering only, just pouring the water in the trays the seedlings sit in). And I keep a chamomile tea bag in the pitcher all the time, replacing it every few days or so, when it no longer has any scent of chamomile. You have to be more careful with the cinnamon, which can burn plants if used to excess. Chamomile doesn't, but I think the combination is more effective. For my use with my seedlings this has worked very well and using it, I no longer have any problems with either damping off or fungus gnats.

But I have not tried using it outdoors, for fungal diseases on adult plants. Don't know if that would work or not.

How I learned about all this was from reading here at Helpful Gardener! :) Keep reading!

firstimegardener
Cool Member

Ok, thanks! I am a bit leery of the cinnamon because I don't want to burn the plants, but really want to try the chamomile. Sad thing is, I watered not five minutes before I read about this idea, so it's going to have to wait until tomorrow, if not the next day. I have all my plants indoors because it's still to wet out to put them in the ground. They are all VERY small too because I just started them on the 23rd. I wish spring would come where I live...it's getting old! :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I get chamomile tea bags and put them in freshly filled milk jugs and let the sit. I fill up about 10 jugs or whatever I have that way the chlorine in the water has time to gas off. I also put a pinch of cinnamon in them.

Tonythegardener

I grow chamomile as a companion plant. It is said to be a doctor plant that keeps pests away from prise plants. I don't know how true this is but it works for me anyway.

I do spray my plants with chamomile but I did not know that it was especially suited to prevent fungal disease. I boil an old camping kettle of water with either fresh handful of chamomile flowers or leaves. This is then diluted down when I add it to a 2 gallon watering can and fill with water. It is then sprayed over the plants.

It perks my plants and I up - because I have some before the plants do.

firstimegardener
Cool Member

I want to grow some, but for right now, I'm stuck with tea bags. I wish it perked me up...instead, it knocks me out cold!

SOB
Green Thumb

After reading through this thread I went looking for Chamomile tea bags. All I found was Chamomile and Mint tea bags. Is this OK to use...will the Mint have any negative effects? Could someone maybe post the name of the tea bags they use in case I am overlooking it at the grocery store?

Thanks!

firstimegardener
Cool Member

Hi!

I just bought it at the grocery store. I found their website though..

https://www.bigelowtea.com/Catalog/Product/36/5/4/Cozy+Chamomile+Herbal+Tea.aspx

This is what I use because it's what I have. I don't know what mint would do to the plants

SOB
Green Thumb

Thanks, the store I was at had Bigelow brand but not that stuff. It wasn't my normal grocery store, I just happened to be there. I'll check my normal store next time I'm there...

SOB
Green Thumb

Found the same tea you buy at my normal grocery store...thanks for the direction!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Mint is a fine insectide that keeps away mice as well... 8)

HG

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”