Decado
Green Thumb

Rabbit Poop

So the snows all almost melted finally so I went out to my garden for a little inspection. There is rabbit poop everywhere. I can't even believe the sheer amount of it. I wasn't going to till or double dig or anything this year, just lightly aerate all the mounds with a pitchfork and add some compost to the top. Is it safe to leave that rabbit poop there under the compost to decompose in the soil or should I be cleaning up this insane mess first?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Rabbit poo is said to be mild enough to apply directly to gardens. (The *only* herbivore's waste so described.) I haven't tried it myself, because the rabbit waste I was given was combined with litter and hay, so it was messy beyond belief and went into my compost bin.

But if it's been out there in the snow for an unknown period of time and is only now visible, with the thaw, I'd go ahead and fork it in/aerate the beds, but not to a greater extent than you had already planned to do. Then plant away and enjoy your garden. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

kimbledawn

Yay!!! rabbit poop!

I save the poop from the rabbit at my job and like the lsat poster said it is mixed wth bedding. Thy left you a great gift :D Just hope it isn't prepayment for them eating your veggies!!! :shock:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”