potato boy
Newly Registered

when to till my garden ?

I was just wondering when is a good time to till my garden. I plan on planting sweet corn and potatoes and need to know how soon to get the garden ready? Thanks !

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Soon! Applestar's phenology guide says plant potatoes when the forsythia blooms. Where I am, that is NOW!!

potato boy
Newly Registered

Well I would till it sometime this week but I have a foot of snow where I am!!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When the soil can be worked is tilling time. That means the ground is unfrozen and dried out enough to be crumbly, not clumpy. If you squeeze some in your hand it should form a loose ball, that falls apart easily. If it forms a tight, solid ball, it is too wet. If you till when wet, it will clump up and stay clumped all season!

If you still have a foot of snow, probably your forsythias aren't blooming yet either! Do you even have forsythia that far north?

potato boy
Newly Registered

Yes we do and I haven't seen any at all !

Farmer Joyce Beggs
Newly Registered

I always strat tilling in January, to control weed growth, specially tilling those leaves in the dirt before Spring.

But it never too late. Starting tilling those unwanted grasses before they bloom and produce seeds.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”