JennieMig
Cool Member

watering with whey

I have a question about using whey that I have left after making cheese and yogurt.

I usally end up with a gallon of whey each week. I have read that whey can be used to water veggies, but I cant find which plants to use it on, and how strong the mixture should be. I belive that the whey would be pretty acidic? I don't know for sure.

Anyone have any advice?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Grrfriend, you got gold there. TONS of Lactobacillus (likely several different strains or species if I don't miss my guess). This bacteria is shown to have antifungal properties; it's why we recommend spraying milk so often on this site.

I would dilute it with water (1:10 for preventitive 1:3 for a curative rate on low level stuff llike powdery mildew). Maybe even a little molasses an hour before spraying to give them a kick in the pants. It would be great for everything, but I am thinking particularly about tomatoes. After the blight of last year I am really thinking this would help with those fungal diseases.

Happy Spring!

THG

JennieMig
Cool Member

So, rather than using it as a fertilizer I should use it to mist my plants with? I'm glad I asked because I was thinking that I should water it in. I will start freezing the whey so that it lasts longer.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I wouldn't freeze it; it has a bacterial culture in place already that precludes most badguys from showing up (lactobacillus is what they use to cure salamis for instance; the white stuff on the outside rind? You betcha!).

Yes, a fine treatment for a lot of issues...

HG

JennieMig
Cool Member

I have been watering and misting my tomatoes with it. I have been using a weak 20 to 1 water to whey ratio. They seem to be doing well, blooming like crazy. My cucumbers are in the same box and they have gone wild pouring over the sides. I guess they like the whey too :P

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”