Vorguen

What kind of light should I get?

My garden, now kicking in gear... and I'm wondering what lights to get it?

I have a mood light I got as a wedding present I use that has given good results, but I need more now...

however, I'm broke. Any suggestions for cheap and affordable? Wal-mart? Lowes? Amazon?

where do you get your lighting? and do you know where you could get less expensive?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What a Poor Cheapskate! Hows your mood light working now?? :P

Hey! Just kidding. I've been struggling all winter.

If you go to the "Seed Starting forum" there are some recommendations for you. I would go with a simple 4ft shop light. Florescent twin tube. I have not priced them lately, but it sounds like they are around $15.00. I buy a lot of second hand stuff at consignment stores. :wink:

Eric

Vorguen

lolz thank you for the tips

:)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I use the round reflector lights from Lowes with compact florescent lights. Each lamp with bulb costs about $8 and will cover about 1 square foot.

Hydroponics
Cool Member

You can make your own little light for propagation and seed starting by just using energy saving compact fluorescents. Get the 100w equivalent CFLs,(uses 26 watts), and get a plug to light socket converter(will be at any hardware store), plug those into a surge protector, and screw in your CFLS.

You can also get Y Splitters so you can put two bulbs in one socket. They don't use much energy and are very cheap. They can provide good vegetative growth and small flowers.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I fell ya on being broke and needing lights. When I first started my seed starting area I took two 4-light florescent from the garage to use in the basement. :lol: I have since added I got mine at lowes I actually have 2 different kinds. They were not real expensive but not super cheap either I can't remember, maybe like $30 to $40. I think they were cheaper than Wal Mart and buying online probably isn't a great idea for you right now if you are trying to keep it inexpensive since shipping will get you.

Good luck there are so many options you can choose from.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

There are so many inexpensive options, just takes a little creativity. You may find cheap used fixtures at a habitat shop. Or you could take a board or homemade box and mount three or four of the white plastic light sockets from Lowes or other hardware store. They cost a little over $1 each. So I could easily imagine a strip of four or five of those sockets mounted on an aluminum foil covered reflector shield made from wood. If made from scrap plywood and a re-purposed electrical cord , that kind of setup should cost no more than $12-$15 counting both sockets and bulbs.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Just be very careful with wiring , foil and water. I would recommend a GFCI outlet. Everything properly grounded. :wink:

Eric

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”