Vorguen

Light on plants

Hi, I'm growing an indoor garden, previously had problems with not growing true leaves, asked here for help and got a good tip that my wife turned into a solution.

Next question, how much should I light my plants? I just bought a small flourescent light on top of my mood light, I heard flourescent is good....

does it matter how bright it is?

how many hours a day should I have the light on? essentially I can run it 24/7

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

vorguen,
how many hours a day should I have the light on? essentially I can run it 24/7
I think no more than 16 hours is recommended.

Someone else will have to answer how bright.

Eric

Vorguen

what happens to the plant if it gets more light than that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I leave mine on 16 hrs. They are not on a timer and are in the basement so every now and then I don't get it together to go down and turn them off. Every now and then doesn't do them too much harm, but I have discovered from experience that if I do that too much, they start getting weaker. Plants have different processes going on in the dark than in the light and they need that time, just like we need to sleep to restore ourselves.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Go to a local garden shop and buy one of those light bulbs that produces real sun light your plants will grow much better. If the plants do not get enough real sun light they grow tall and skinny with small leaves.

Be sure to put fan blowing on your plants.

If at all possible move the plants outside every day the temperature is above freezing then bring them in the house again at night.

When I was growing my own plants I grew them on a 4 x 8 flat bed trailer. I kept the trailer in the garage at night and rolled it out into the driveway very day if the temperature was above freeze. The more natural you can make life for your plants the better they grow. I use to have large strong plants ready to transplant in about 30 days.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:...
When I was growing my own plants I grew them on a 4 x 8 flat bed trailer. I kept the trailer in the garage at night and rolled it out into the driveway very day if the temperature was above freeze. ....
That's a great idea ... and a great way to save some kilowatts and take advantage of the free solar energy when possible. :D

quiltbea

You don't need a fan if you will just brush a piece of printer paper against your seedlings each time you go to check on them, such as when turning off and on lights, or watering. Just a gentle brush of the paper once or twice, back and forth each time you visit will strengthen their stems.

Also, you need to have those lights only about 2" above the tops of the growing seedlings. If you put them up too high, they will start getting leggy.

I turn my shop lights (with sunlight tubes in them) on when I get up in the morning and turn them off at bedtime about 15-16 hrs later.

applestar
Mod

I turn my shop lights (with sunlight tubes in them) on when I get up in the morning and turn them off at bedtime about 15-16 hrs later.
I do that too with some of my NEW PROJECT! plants that get extra attention. It forces me to say "Good Morning" and "Good Night" to them and give them at least a cursory glance, if not a 10 minute exam, visit each time. :wink:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”