DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

"Hope this makes sense"?! My God, man; it's !@#%^*! brilliant!
Cynthia,

Thank you, You trying to make me blush :D

Couple thoughts,

If the court is made of something other than concrete forget it. Asphalt is out for sure and I don't know if a clay court would hold together.

When you tip up the end slab, you will have a 2ft x 4ft area of bare soil. With the next planters end tipped up, you now have a 4ft x 4ft bare area. Maybe the compost bins go there.

[img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Topbmp.jpg[/img]

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thank you,

Bring along your pruners, the English ivy is creating shade. :lol:

Eric

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Couple of tubes of masonary cement seals the deal (or a banding strap or some such outside if you are worried about the ingredients; I am more concerned with two hundred pound slabs crushing toes...)

But I concur with Cynthia; very elegant...

HG
Scott Reil

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The planters being 2ft tall and the aisle made of concrete, is wheelchair accessible. :D The bare soil between planters could be back to back park benches.
Couple of tubes of masonry cement seals the deal (or a banding strap or some such outside if you are worried about the ingredients; I am more concerned with two hundred pound slabs crushing toes...)
THG,

I like your banding idea. Metal banding that will rust and add more character. The corners could be drilled and pinned.

Eric

spencecat
Newly Registered

Love the idea

I love the suggestion of cutting up the pavement and using it as the sides of the bed! Brilliant.

I can't do it for our community garden; the tennis courts belong to the City and we are leasing them for the garden. There is no way we could do something like that to the courts.

Plus - just in case anyone wants to do it for their own project - I did price out having the cement cut up and concrete cutting companies charge per linear inch and per depth inch. Typically, cement/concrete projects are built with 6 inch deep cement. The price to cut the cement out was actually about 50% more than leaving it there and doing raised beds.

If your concrete is thin, though, this would be feasible and very possibly less expensive than lumber beds.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”