brewboy19

Newb Question on shipping seeds

Why is it important to ship seeds without having them x-ray'd and what is hand canceling ? Thanks.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Well, I Googled this question and most hits are pothead forums. 8)

They don't seem to think it's a problem. Some mention that a black mail box is a problem. A black painted mail box can get very hot.

I'm pretty sure that my Territorial seeds are not hand canceled. :?

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I mail order seeds every year. They come through the regular mail with no special precautions and are fine.

brewboy19

The reason I ask is I got some blue tomato seeds from a guy on the baker creek forum and he sent it in a envelope that said caution seeds inside do not x-ray, hand canceled.

What is hand canceled? Possibly they seal the envelope while the post worker watches???

Just curious never seen it before.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What is hand canceled? Possibly they seal the envelope while the post worker watches???
You most likely have seen the squiggly lines over the postage stamp. This is canceling or cancellation. It's so you can not use the stamp again. Most of the time a machine does the work. Hand canceled is done by a human robot. :lol:

I've seen no problem with USPS, UPS or Fedex with seed shipping.

Eric

lorax
Greener Thumb

The reason behind hand-cancellation of stamps on envelopes containing seeds is that the postmaster (the guy who cancels the stamps) is less likely to crush the contents of the envelope in the process.

Machine cancellers have big rollers which can (and generally do) squoosh the envelopes.

The easiest way around this, of course, is bubble-mailers or padded envelopes, which afford some protection to the contents.

brewboy19

so no one knows why the no x ray thing was on there? Maybe just a little paranoia about the radiation?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Maybe they will grow super huge mutant plants if X-Rayed??? :lol:

I realy wouldn't worry about it too much. People have been getting seeds for a long time and you know some of them have been put through that.

brewboy19

Not really worried, more curious. I need to know. I almost have OCD for needed to know everything.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”