M.Clark

Raised Rain Barrel Support for Pressure Question

I just picked up a 250-gallon tote that has the aluminum cage and is on a pallet that I am going to use for a rain barrel behind my garage. The area is quite low and I was wondering what would be the recommended way to support it a few feet in the air to increase the pressure. It is going to be right next to my raised three 4-foot by 4-foot vegetable beds that sit 14 inches off the ground.

I have several small pressure treated 4x posts left over from a fence that I removed and was thinking about building a small platform with those. Would that be enough to support it though? I am worried about the weight of it (I was told that with water it will be about 2,250 lbs. What have others done to increase the pressure?

applestar
Mod

I guess it depends on how high you need it to be. I have my two rain barrels on double courses of cinderblocks. I've read that depending on the shape and size of your barrels, you can spread out the blocks -- I.e. They don't have to form a solid continuous platform -- if you fill the gaps with gravel. Depends on availability of blocks and gravel, and which is less expensive/ more cost effective.

Here's a thread I posted a while back with link to a serious rain barrel system.
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124682

M.Clark

I saw that link! That is a very cool set up but my neighbors would hate me for that.

I plan on painting the tank dark green and using the sides of the aluminum cage to grow hops. That way it will provide a little bit of added privacy while being useful.

Lorin
Newly Registered

M.Clark wrote: What have others done to increase the pressure?
I bought a "dirty water" sump pump on ebay for about $15. Connections are different. But you can go to Lowes and get the connections to go from the sump outlet to a standard hose. It's been a good way to send rainwater through the soaker hoses in my garden.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”