Delraypete
Newly Registered

Can old aloe gel be used as fertilizer?

A strange question, I know, but we recently pulled some old jugs of stabilized aloe vera gel out of a cabinet that my wife used to drink for its health benefits, but it's long expired and instead of dumping it I'm wondering if the stuff can be used as fertilizer. I just planted some tomato and pepper plants in containers (I'm in S. Fla), so I don't know if I can use it on those. Otherwise I'd just put it on a garden bed I suppose. Anyway, if anyone has any knowledge on this I'm all ears.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it would be fine. The stabilization process can involve the addition of other substances, but the product remains food-safe. The processed gel may lose some or all of the healing properties aloe vera is known for, but that shouldn't affect its suitability for the compost pile. JMO.

I found an interesting, albeit rather lengthy, article that describes the stabilization process [url=https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:hkC4gyZl9HMJ:www.scipub.org/fulltext/AJAB/AJAB32502-510.pdf+how+is+aloe+gel+stabilized&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj82PDgAhZokQq8YpzPCHj0Fhdz_ZL7X6HluLF_rZrN8yaKZaIL6yjMsRYGFCKQm6M11bUPohtRFy9PXPZid1wKakukcKN7i00s_ettJ1F2GXFIYOrGwF73Ac7nzob-LFMj6aFv&sig=AHIEtbQ2OXKEskTQ6qx4qR6VJDMTPl-vZw]here[/url].

applestar
Mod

Even if it's too old to drink, maybe it could still be used topically/externally or mixed into shampoo or conditioner?

After that, I think I would add anything like that to my compost pile too.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”