DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Wow! That looks really good.

Eric

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

In the winter time, when little is planted in the beds, the area becomes our two outdoor cat's favorite bathroom area. I use my tomato cages and some flat pieces to cover the area. This seems to keep the cats at bay. That in turn keeps the two dachshunds and the giant yellow lab from going in behind the cats and destroying the entire bed while looking for and digging for kitty treats.

Later in the summer, with intensive planting, the cats are no longer interested as many other areas in the yard have loose, bare sand. I keep hoping for these two cats to die. I say never again, and after the huge string of bird murders in the past two years, my wife has finally agreed, no more cats. The murderous beasts live to kill anything that moves, and the cats kill it whether they are hungry or not.

alaskagold

Would some nice person tell me how your garlic does if you are in a colder climate?

I do not plant it over winter... for obvious reasons. :( But if someone else has had success in 4A4B like areas, I would LOVE to know!

FYI... I usually can not "plant" until the middle (half the time 2 weeks later) of May and usually the first real frost is end of Sept. ANY advice would be, well, I may have to kiss and hug you!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It gets hot so quickly here in zone 8 that if you wait to plant in the spring, the bulbs barely form before the plants start to die. I would be surprised if garlic doesn't overwinter well in zone 4, but why not plant a small test patch if you are concerned. Also, if your garlic has a long enough growing season to make good sized bulbs when planted in the spring, then it doesn't matter much that you wait to plant.

alaskagold

Hendi, we have excellent growing time for onions, garlic and most "bulbs". I have just been told that due to the way the ground freezes, it may make the bulbs go to mush during our "Break up" season. Break up is our spring, but we go by when the rivers break rather than how much snow isn't on the ground.

I can imagine what zones 8 can grow. Maybe one day I will move to a warmer climate, just not for the next 20 yrs or so.

PBrown
Newly Registered

Nice work with the garlic! For a bit of fun I put in a couple of gloves in the garden bed about a week ago and one was shooting up really nicely.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I re-did my garden bed and as a result I had to move everything in there into pots. I was just wondering if this pot will be big enough for 1 garlic or do I need a bigger pot?

Also I live in Brisbane, Australia in a warm climate so my garlic probably has no chance... right? But it looks healthy at top! (for now)

https://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh5yq3cwvE1qhrg18o1_500.jpg

[img]https://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh5yq3cwvE1qhrg18o1_500.jpg[/img]

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If the plant doesn't form a nice sized bulb this year, just leave it in the pot or plant it in the ground for the next season. It should size up during the second year's growth, if the growing season ends up being too short this year. Of course you can eat the tops and the small bulbs of immature garlic just a well as you can mature cloves.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”