kerrik420
Newly Registered

Experiment-Help with figuring out rate of mung bean growth

For my biology course I'm supposed to do an experiment about plant growth using the mung bean. (*if someone knows more about a different easy-to-grow seed then talk about that, it doesnt have to be a mung bean, I just found the most info on it)

I don't have time to grow the plant, so I've decided to just try to guess what will happen.

The problem is I need help knowing the rate at which a mung bean normally grows since I am supposed to have labelled diagrams every 4 days after germination and measurements of how tall the stem is.

I've found lots of stuff online to help me figure out the germination, but I can't really find anything about after germination.

[Of the two things I did find about growth, one had a picture after a week and 2 weeks of growth, but no measurements. It's hard to guess from a picture how tall something is, but my guess is that it after a week it was about 10 or 12 cm tall? The second picture didn't look that much different other than some extra leaves and was taller (but I have no idea how tall). And the other one I found had measurements, but they seemed really off. He said he had just watered it normally and it only grew a little over a centimetre after 10 days... So that didn't seem right at all.]

So does anyone have an average idea of how fast a mung bean grows? Or how tall it usually is after a week or two of growth? It doesn't need to be exact, I just need a general idea so I can attempt to guess the rest of it.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think the point of the assignment is for you to do your own work and keep good notes of your observations, not ask others to do it for you. This would show poor practice in any scientist.

Cynthia H.
Moderator and former teacher

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thank you Cynthia. I wanted to say the same thing.

I thought Stella may put her teacher's hat on for this one. :lol:

Eric

kerrik420
Newly Registered

I do my course online and wasn't given a sufficient amount of time to do this experiment. If I was I would of grown them. My teacher even said that it's fine to do this since it wasn't my fault. He said it is a reasonable way for me to get my mark for that without missing the deadline for my course.

Now the only way I can figure out how to do this is by figuring out how a mung bean normally grows so I can use an educated guess based on what I've learned thus far in order to figure out how it will affect the plants.

I really don't see how asking that is equivalent to getting someone to do all the work for me... especially considering I'm figuring everything else out on my own. I need some direction though.

kerrik420
Newly Registered

By the way, the whole experiment is about the effects of salt on plant growth. The only way I can figure out that is by knowing how the bean normally grows so I can make an educated guess about how the salt effects it.

applestar
Mod

Have you even tried growing these seeds -- beans or tomatoes?
:lol:
By the time we're done arguing about the merits of your non-experiment and it's validity thereof, the seeds could have germinated already! :roll:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”