TaraontheCoast
Newly Registered

What To Plant Now?

So, I've been a total fail gardener these past 3 months. I moved out of my house that had a big fenced in garden to a new house with 2 small planters in my backyard and access to 2 beds in the community garden.

I've found myself totally unmotivated to go to the community garden (which is pathetic, because it's right behind my house!) but I would at least like to start planting some seeds or starts in the boxes in my backyard.

I live on California's north coast, and while I'll certainly consult my gardening book, I was looking for some suggestions on what I can begin planting now, if anything.

Thanks!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

How about lettuce, radishes, maybe even some baby carrots? I am also going to try some green peas, and turnips now that the nights are cooler. I might even be able to get in an early cabbage before the weather shuts me down.

I have out the cooler season herbs, looking them over and deciding what to plant now.

I am going to replant my onions that failed last spring, nice little sets now ( :lol: ) And get my Egyptian onions and garlic all planted for winter growing. Also it is time for my tulips, daffodils and all winter bulbs to get back out there!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Over the Labor Day weekend and since then, I've put in starts for kale, spinach, sugar snap peas, fava beans, arugula, chard, cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy, potatoes (this is a long shot), and rapini (broccoli raab).

I'm still planning to add radicchio, broccoli romanesco, and seeds of several more veggies (beets, carrots, parsnips, celeriac) so that I'll have some succession plants.

In 2008, I planted mache, chicory (endive), carrots, celeriac (celery root), beets, parsnips, turnips, and salsify (oyster plant). You'll no doubt find many varieties of lettuce starts at nurseries in your area; I haven't planted lettuce this go-round b/c we just don't end up eating it. :( Cooking greens are a more worthwhile investment of time/effort for this house.

If you're in Sunset Zone 15 or 17, these will work fine (I've also put most of these plants in at my MIL's house in Palo Alto, Zone 15). Zone 14 will probably work OK, but the winters in Zone 14 run a little cooler than in Zone 15, so check with an independent nursery and/or the Sunset Western Garden Book. Look up the veggie(s) in question to see which Sunset zone(s) they're recommended for.

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

seedsgardeninghq
Newly Registered

Have you considered herbs? They can be pretty easy to grow in containers or small pots, and they are wonderful used fresh in so many dishes! I had great success with basil, cilantro and dill. I plan to try rosemary and thyme next time, in addition to the other three. I did plant parsley, but for some reason, it didn't come up. I have no idea why, but I'll probably try that again, too. Hope that helps, and I'd love to hear what you decided and how it went! Happy gardening!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”