R. Mills

What is eating my strawberries at night ?

This does not happen during the day, but in the morning I go outside to find my strawberries half eaten. They are totally fenced & netted to prevent rodents from accessing them.
Thank You.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Slugs or snails, would be my first suggestion of culprits. They can be found at night by using a flashlight and making sure to look *underneath* the leaves of the plants.

I remove the snails by hand and, depending on how I'm feeling, throw them into the street, against the fence, or crunch them under my shoe. I remove slugs with a trowel or stick and smush with said trowel or stick.

The phrase "snail hunting" will get you some interesting threads on the forum using the Search function, but this short description is the essence of the activity.

Good luck!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

greenstubbs

cynthia_h wrote: I remove the snails by hand and, depending on how I'm feeling, throw them into the street, against the fence, or crunch them under my shoe.
Good luck!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
You too uh! I gave up on them cause they were just a breeding ground for them, to bad too as mine were soooooooooooo darn sweet. Made for great ice cream as well.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

You can save egg shells, pulverize/crush them, and sprinkle those around the Strawberry plants.
I can't guarantee it, but that seems to get rid of most of the slugs around my Strawberry plants.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”