seanmurray90

Corn problem?

Hey guys. I need some help.

I had many troubles growing corn this year. last year everything went super smooth with no problems at all , but this year my corn is acing weird.. so my corn are about 3 1/2 feet tall. planted them in June and last year they were way taller by now. the leaves are browning even tho I water them a good amount. I only water the soil so I know the waters not burning the leaves and I never flood the plants cause 1 year I got rot form too much water. and my main problem is there are no ears of corn. the tops have pollen and are dry like rice crispies and ready to go but theres nothin to pollinate., no silk or even the start of the corn ears. whats goin on? I got pics by the way if u guys need em. we have gardeners that mow the lawn and they killed my zucchini last year with some chemical on the bushes. do u think they could be spraying something again?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In case it helps, you can see pictures of these corn plants here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160208&highlight=#160208

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

sean, I saw the pics of your corn you posted yesterday and I had my doubts as to whether you would actually get any corn off of them. Like someone else mentioned, they are a bit leggy and the foliage looks stressed.

Having never grown corn due to space issues, I can't speak with first hand knowledge but around here and most everywhere I've seen corn growing, it is very closely spaced. I've been told that it needs to grow close so it can pollinate properly and set ears-----------so I've been told.

A buddy of mine with much more space than I have grew a row of corn 2 years ago and didn't do well. Last year and this year he planted several rows of it in a 30' x30' square and his corn is giving him all he needs and then some.

I'm sure more info is forthcoming from those that actually grow the crop to help you get things started in the right path.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”