Toil
Greener Thumb

An interesting confirmation of the benefits of microscopy

So I took a sample from an area in my parents' yard, without really observing the plant life. The day lilies had seemed fine enough, and the yard in any case is not managed from the "new" perspective, but rather with fertilizer, and -cides.

THe sample had rotifers, which I expected due to the water source, which is a large tidal creek. Rotifers are cool.

When I looked for protozoa, in the fresh sample and in a culture I made, all I saw was big, fast moving ciliates (the little critters covered in hairs), but no flagellates (the little critters that use a propellor). I was assuming, at this point, that they were having no problems in that area.

Now I've learned from a few sources that the pattern I saw is associated with anaerobic conditions - stinky soil, root rot, and all that fun stuff. This did not square with my impression that all was well. I figured, maybe my knowledge only applies to "natural" gardening?

So I told my mom what I saw, and showed her, and then she tells me: they have been having a problem with plants rotting in that area, and my mom has been trying to convince my dad that he is irrigating too much and drowning things. In other words the soil is anaerobic!

So - rather than casting doubt on the value of using a microscope, I got confirmation that I am on the right track, and more confidence in my ability to spot a problem in the soil that may be just starting or going undetected. That means that to get on the right track, there is less guessing. I can sample, and if I see those flagellates come back, I know for sure the right change has been made. Sweet!

If you can just get access to a scope, maybe from your community, it's relatively easy to learn how to use it for the very basic type of observation I am doing. Basic, maybe. Useful, very!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nice diagnosis, toil. I was coming to the same conclusion; rotifers and lots of cilliates means only one thing...

Now this is where some of your EM could be beneficial in jumpstarting the soil biology; an introduction of facultative anaerobes that WON'T start killing plants off or making people sick would be good. That and getting Dad to turn off the hose. More issues with overwatering than underwatering. Wait until the slime molds show up and it starts to smell... :roll:

At least they are really cool under the scope...

HG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Really interesting findings, Toil. It makes me want to go out and drop a few grand on a nice microscope. I just wish I had the skills to make good use of it.

Toil
Greener Thumb

well, I mostly used Tim Wilson's DVD's and web site to learn. I'm a very very beginning beginner. And yet, I feel so empowered! The observations I'm making are super easy, and super obvious. The difference between ciliates and flagellates is mostly very easy to tell, because they move so differently.

Sure, I'd love better optics in some cases, but I got a decent chinese made binocular scope that accepts filters for under 1k, and I'm very happy with it. Anyway, most of the time I can't see well, it's because I have too thick of a drop on the slide, or the liquid is very viscous.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There are some tricky ones there too toil; dinoflagellates are a big cilliate that LOOKS like a big flagellate, and ACTS like a big flagellate, but somehow it is a cilliate...

But toil's right; this is mostly easy. I learned to do field counts in an afternoon and was off to the races. There are finer points; trying to tell algae from fungal spores is hard, and finding amoebas is sort of like trying to do those puzzles where you stare at the pattern long enough and you see Elvis' face (I still can't do either reliably). But all and all you will begin to learn enough about you soil biology to make better decisions in you amending or fertilization.

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I am so pulling out my microscope next time I go up to the farm. its only a kids lab scope, I have a feeling I will be finding heavy metals or whats left after the molds and lichens got em...its only been a year since I removed all the rusty metal scraps. piled them up sorry...

Toil
Greener Thumb

if you can just get to 100x, you can tell a great deal.

bring molasses and an aquarium pump as well, so you can culture whatever soil you are observing (mini compost tea). remember to watch out for chlorine. Distilled water is best.

HG, I didn't know algae used spores. I've probably been identifying algae as fungi.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”