sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

which is your favorite raspberry and blackberry?

I got some polana and autumn britton this year but thought about maybe getting another variety next year. I'm thinking about prelude since I heard good reviews on another site about it but I wanted your opinion of your favorite for northern climates. also, what is your favorite blackberry?

ronbre
Cool Member

I totally prefer black raspberries, they not only have wonderful flavor and are prolific but are very easy to propagate by just laying one down on the ground or burying the tip in the ground, and they will bear all summer (if the birds don't eat all the unripe ones like they did here this year..the buggers).

I still got a good harvest and they will rebear again, but birds can be a problem with any berries..I didn't net them.

applestar
Mod

I used to have blackberries that were I suppose wild. Very thorny -- VERY VERY thorny. I planted a thornless variety (Triple Crown) and am now in the process of eliminating all thorned shoots. The thornless canes are much easier to deal with and train. It's a bit over vigorous and have set down roots here and there -- welcome while it's still being established, but no doubt can become a problem later on. I've cut off and planted one rooted shoot in another part of the garden. I didn't net it this year, but it'll be easier to net than the thorned one (that was what decided me to get rid of it. The net got SO ENTANGLED I was nearly weeping with frustration).

I planted Kiwi Gold raspberries. I really like that the birds don't bother it at all. We're only seeing meager harvest still, but it's filling out the alloted space fast, so I can expect a bigger yield next year. I'm harvesting the tip borne 2nd crop right now.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Aww applestar. I hope despite the super frusteration you suffer you can finally enjoy those sweet little babies of your soon.

Preferably I would only eat blackberries but I was promised some gold raspberries and I hear they are the best ever. Nothing like a handfull of raspberries though.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

ronbre wrote:I totally prefer black raspberries, ....
I anyone wants to have both Black and Red Raspberries, be sure to separate them by a considerable distance. Apparently, the black raspberries carry a virus that can kill the production of the red raspberries.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

AS, have you sampled any of the triple crown yet? how do they taste? IDK if they are for my zone or not, but I'll check into it :)

applestar
Mod

To be honest I don't like blackberries much because of their large seeds. But DD has been loving it. Once the patch is producing more, I'll make preserves and things, straining out the seeds.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

triple crown is not for my zone I guess. oh well.

hmmmm. DH doesn't know it yet but I have plans to make another berry strip SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... if I do it without him looking maybe he won't notice LOL!

applestar
Mod

I don't see blackberries, but you might want to see what they have at St. Laurence Nurseries: https://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

Look around for other nurseries/sources that specialize in colder climate stock.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I found two types at Nourse that are ok for my zone. now to plan this out...

half my rasp died this year. it was too hot I guess to plant rasp :( I'd so bummed.

CherA

blsckberry definately Cher

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”