andham2000
Newly Registered

Settle an argument

I have often heard gardeners suggesting washing up liquid in a spray gun to get rid of pests. This is suggested to be an organic solution, it seems to me that it is not, there are chemicals in washing up liquid. What is the difference between these chemicals and others. Surely they are still chemicals and as such non-organic.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

While most modern dish washing detergents have fragrances and colors added, it's still mostly soap and harmless in any sort of quantity you'd actually spray on to plants. Palmolive or one of the old standards would work as well as these newer, more "prettied up" versions, so stick to those if it's a real concern...

Organic simply means carbon based. If something was alive, it breaks down into carbon. So carbon monoxide is organic, just not terribly good for plants or people...

Scott

andham2000
Newly Registered

ok thanks scott,

I have also heard that a good way to get rid of bugs is to leave your remains of potato plant in water and then use them as a spray. I suppose that you could not use them on potato plants as it could pass blight. What you reakon, have you heard of this???

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Well I suppose if you were growing the new Monsanto potato with the BT gene in it that might work but other wise that's news to me :?:

Scott

andy2000

yep I had not heard of it untill recently either scott, I then stumbled across this...........

As an insect destroyer the juice of the potato plant is said to be of great value; the leaves and stems are well boiled in water, and when the liquid is cold it is sprinkled over plants attacked with insects, when it at once destroys caterpillars, black and green flies, gnats, and other enemies to vegetables, and in no way impairs the growth of the plants. A peculiar odor remains, and prevents insects from coming again for a long time.

The Farm and Household Cyclopedia - circa 1888

...... Not had a chance to test it out yet as all my potato plants came up back in september. Will give it a go next year though. Worth I try I guess.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Any organic control that's that easy is gonna get looked at by me, for sure!

Scott

rrrbs29

I love those old ancient remidies!! Soapy water in a sprayer works pretty good, but the insects always seem to return for me. I bought a veg/flower 3 way spray for insects, fungus, mold (I think) and is not harmful to humans or pets. I have had very good results with it.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”