oldschoolvdub
Cool Member

steer manure in the garden

So my dad does his garden every year and always mixes a bunch of bags of steer manure into the soil. And every year I am always amazed at how good his garden turns out. This year I didn't add any to my soil, and I can see how it looks to be struggling.

So is it possible to add steer manure on top of the soil? All my plants are already planted and getting to a big size, but I feel like I need a boost. Am I wasting my time?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If it is well composted sure any time is good as well with any kind of compost. In fact a lot of people don't use fertilizer in the bag at all. They will just add compost made of whatever to add as a topping throughout the year.

One thing I didn't do as I normally do is add horse manure this spring and my garden itself is somewhat struggling. It is producing but not how I want it too.
I wish I had a local source for bulk cow manure. I will have to work on that. Cow is better than horse since the cow's stomach breaks down the seeds that become weeds much better than a horses digestive system.

Good luck.

It could be the weather to that is hindering your crops. It has been ugly around here. Every one I know is having a less than stellar year.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”