microcollie
Green Thumb

Miracle Gro Organic?????

I just read in another forum reference to Miracle Gro Organic soil. Does anyone have any info about it? I tend to worry about anything labled "organic" that's produced by a chemicle company. I also read a bit online about troubles with pests and mushroom spores being present in the soil.
It's a little worrisome that only food and drugs are really held to "strict" standards about what can be labled "organic".
Any thoughts?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You may be interested in this thread, entitled "Organic Miracle Grow"?

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125591

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Microcollie - you seem to have covered it pretty well in your first post:

1) it is Scotts, they don't really have a good ecological perspective and they're not a company I particularly want to support, if I don't have to

2) they do have reputation for passing along some pests and diseases with their products.

3) see the thread cynthia linked, it's not a good balanced fertilizer and the chicken manure it's based on creates pollution issues.

muddy45

cynthia_h wrote:You may be interested in this thread, entitled "Organic Miracle Grow"?

Cynthia H.
I don't know about organic miracle grow,but I did buy a bag of potting soil this spring that said organic on it under another name,,when I got it home I saw it was put out by the miracle grow folks. I used it in my hole plantings that I make up every year with green sand etc.

but reading that older thread about chicken manure I had to laugh.

every fall I clean my pigeon loft and chicken coop out and dig it in to my raise beds and cover it up with about 3 ft. of moldy hay,,I have the nices crops in the neighborhood on this dusty road.

maybe I didn't read enough about it,but I swear buy my poultry manure and wold never change a thing.

I learned about it in the 1950's and 60's and it has always worked for me.
I know my worms are happy in it,plus it brings a large pick worm to it after it sits awhile.

I learned about it in my old organic gardening and farming magazines that my mother started me out with in the mid 1950's.

I do know that any manure will run off if you don't work it into the top soil,the fall is best so it composts over the winter for spring planting.

as I use raised beds it will not go any where even if I topped dressed it on my beds.

every thing will perculate downwards even robin poo.

what I would worry about is the corparate farmers or agri-bussiness farmer with their chemicals they spray and spread by the tons and hundereds og gals.

I don't see how a gardened is gonna hurt the enviroment useing manures of any kind.

just my opinion.
and the opinion of my old organic mags,

Larry

muddy45

muddy45 wrote:
cynthia_h wrote:You may be interested in this thread, entitled "Organic Miracle Grow"?

Cynthia H.
I don't know about organic miracle grow,but I did buy a bag of potting soil this spring that said organic on it under another name,,when I got it home I saw it was put out by the miracle grow folks. I used it in my hole plantings that I make up every year with green sand etc.

but reading that older thread about chicken manure I had to laugh.

every fall I clean my pigeon loft and chicken coop out and dig it in to my raise beds and cover it up with about 3 ft. of moldy hay,,I have the nices crops in the neighborhood on this dusty road.

maybe I didn't read enough about it,but I swear by my poultry manure and would never change a thing.

I learned about it in the 1950's and 60's and it has always worked for me.
I know my worms are happy in it,plus it brings a large pink worm to it after it sits awhile.

I learned about it in my old organic gardening and farming magazines that my mother started me out with in the mid 1950's.

I do know that any manure will run off if you don't work it into the top soil,the fall is best so it composts over the winter for spring planting.

as I use raised beds it will not go any where even if I topped dressed it on my beds.

every thing will perculate downwards even robin poo.

what I would worry about is the corperate farmers or agri-bussiness farmer with their chemicals they spray and spread by the tons and hundereds of gals.

I don't see how a gardener is gonna hurt the enviroment useing manures of any kind.

just my opinion.
and the opinion of my old organic mags,

Larry

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I agree with your first post. It is hard to believe that a company that makes so many synthetic products can flip a switch and make something that is 100% organic and environmentally friendly.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”