crystalcabot
Newly Registered

Tomato Plants No Tomatos

Hi. I am gardening in a brand new garden this year. The previous soil was hard clay. I used a mini hoe and dug out 3' wide row 4 of them. Then I used horse manure and tilled the soil. The soil has done really well with growing everything I have planted and really lasted through some dry spells with no wilting.
Now, I have 5' to 6' tall tomato plants. Some are heirloom others are hybrids. None have more than 2 or 3 small green tomatos on them. Half of those tomatos have blossem end rot. (I typically place one egg shell under each tomato plant to avoid this but planted so many this year I skipped it) I believe I could add gypsum to handle the calcuim issue.
The tomato plants are a health green. Some are a little lime color others a normal green and others really dark green. No signs of disease...yet.
My first thought is a soil test to figure out if the soil is missing phosperous. SO I need to get a test today. I hate spending that 5 bucks LOL.
Any suggests, to what amendments to make if its missing the phos or potash?
IS it too late? Even if I correct the problem have I lost this growing season?
Its July 19th and averaging 90 degree days....
THanks

crystalcabot
Newly Registered

A gardener down the street from me has tomatos and he experienced the same weather.

crystalcabot
Newly Registered

So really I need a soil test before any real solution can be forward. right.

muddy45

crystalcabot wrote:So really I need a soil test before any real solution can be forward. right.
so did you get your soil tested ?

did you start getting more tomatos ?

you could have to much nitrogen from all that horse manure you used and the plants just made greenery in stead of fruit.

just guessing here.

Larry

lily51
Greener Thumb

How much did you fertilze these?
Too much fertilizer will cause very tall tomato plants, but no fruit, at least on hybrids.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”