zclesane@hotmail.com
Newly Registered

Little Brown Mushrooms

I'm new to gardening. I've planted several things, but I'm getting small brown/gray mushrooms growing in the pots. WHY???? Please help...are they getting to much water. I live in Bergen County, NJ.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener!

I took the liberty of splitting your post off of the thread where you had placed it, because it didn't respond to the original question *and* posed a new question as well.

Please be sure, whenever you have a new question, to use the "Start New Topic" button. There's a lot to get used to in joining a forum; please be sure to ask (P.Msg. at the bottom of every post) when you do have questions. Any moderator will be happy to answer your "How do I...?" questions.

Cynthia H.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Mushroom spores will grow wherever they find moist, rich soil. Depending on what plants you are growing in your containers, you might be overwatering them. The mushrooms don't do any harm, either to the soil or to your other plants, so you can just remove them, if you like. :)

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

We've been getting a lot of 'shrooms growing in our containers, and a fairy ring in our boulevard garden.

I'm not sure what your weather has been like, but here the high amount of rain and cloudy days has helped them spread like crazy. I've given up trying to pull them. It seems to just spread the spores more. They also seem to like wooden mulch if you have some.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yep, lots of moisture results in lots mushrooms. It sounds like your containers may not be so well draining. What is the planting medium in your pots?

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Kisal is right. Mushrooms will grow anywhere that it's moist and cool and full of organic matter. That's why FieldofFlowers is seeing them in the mulch. Earlier this summer we had them all over our yard especially heavy in areas I put down compost. Mushrooms are very helpful. If what ever plants you have in your pots don't like moist soil then you know your soil is to moist. If they do then your fine. They also help break down the larger organic material like the wood mulch and allows it to go into the next stages of breaking down so your plants can eventually use it.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”