Dixana
Greener Thumb

Containers but not, what kind of soil?

I'm planting the rest of my poor plants today. Since I can't use my garden space because of the cement I'm going to cut the bottoms off of one and three gallon containers and put them where my raised bed will be next year.
Since the containers will be open on the bottom and on the ground do I still have to use potting soil? I don't have any and can't afford to buy any right now :( The poor things need to get planted asap

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Potting soil would still be good, but that's out, so use whatever you have! :) We all have to make do at times and your plants will definitely be better off planted than not! If you are using garden soil, make sure it is VERY well broken up, fluffed up, aerated.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Thanks rainbow! I have a few bags of topsoil, some bags of humus and manure, and giant bag of schultz garden soil. I was going to mix them in a wheelbarrow and use them up. I'm debating on scrounging up enough cash to get some perlite to throw in just in case it's too heavy.....

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Sounds good, Dix. Also, perhaps till up the ground a little bit that will be under the bucket. This way, the roots will penetrate it easier.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”