Urban_wombat

One of the joys of living in WA ..NOT!

Where I live in Western Australia the amount of organic seeds can be a TAD limited.. so I go on-line.. so many wonderful plants I wanna try.. just one problem.. WA quarantine.. so many suppliers just wont send them to WA..

applestar
Mod

I'm mostly concerned about "organic" seeds in terms of GMOs and TREATED seeds. I guess you could choose heirlooms and OP (open pollinated) varieties and grow your own organic seeds?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Hey Apple,

Are there some catalogs that we can get through the mail that are not associated with those 2 biggie companies that no one likes to mention :roll: :D ?

Organic and Heirloom catalogs? Non-GMO catalogs?

Urban_wombat

Hi applestar the brain wasn't working that well the other day :lol: it's heirlooms that I was having problems getting.. take just one seed type e.g sweet corn last year at the local stores there wasn't much of it for sale in fact out of a dozen or so outlets only a couple had any and that was the hybrid type.. so I went on line and found the seed outlets over east had plenty.. but would not ship to WA :cry:
Last edited by Urban_wombat on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Urban_wombat, sorry to hear that. I guess you might check with folks on the Australian Permaculture websites?
Organic and Heirloom catalogs? Non-GMO catalogs?

For you, LA, since you're in South Carolina, I would recommend Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I like them a lot. They fit my intention to purchase as locally as possible, geographically AND climatically, for adapted varieties. Though they're further south in Virginia, it's kind of interesting that their Sunset Zone is same as mine. 8)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Having met Rob and knowing his commitment to the cause, I am a big fan of [url=https://www.johnnyseeds.com/]Johnny's Select Seeds[/url]...

And I have had wonderful experiences with [url=https://www.seedsofchange.com/]Seeds of Change[/url]; great varieties, and simply fantastic germination rates turning into big beautiful plants...

UW, knowing the delicacy of your ecosystem out there it is good to see a government paying attention and taking some care. There are some worse ways to do it. I know it's a pain, but your country's history is lttered with examples of doing it the other way to bad effect (rabbits, cats, etc.), so perhaps this is for the best?

HG

applestar
Mod

I like Johnny's too and I get a lot of my seeds from them as well, but they're in Maine. Their catalog includes detailed germinating info including optimum temp range for many and I really like that they include days to FLOWERING for flower seeds.

Seeds of Change was one of my original seed catalogs when I started out. GREAT source. But I've sadly decided that New Mexico is not even remotely close.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I was looking at seeds of change a few days ago and I saw they are based in New Mexico! Being from SC, that's a bit of a haul. I know it just few oz in weight but I'm really trying to stay local. If I can get the same products here, I'll try :() if not my psychological guilt can be temporarily suppressed ;) SOC was extremely impressive!!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Understood, y'all, and I feel your convictions, but I am spreading the possibilities, as not quite everyone here might have a taste for sweet tea or 90% humidity... y'all know what I mean? :wink:

S

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”