nanasjewel
Newly Registered

Hello, I am a new gardener, and I've planted tomato, and spinach which I have in pots on my terrace. I'm not sure if I have the spinach in a big enough pot. I planted them about a month or so, the spinach was started from seeds and seems to be growing at a very slow pace. The tomato plant was purchased already potted. Anyway, I've noticed a few brownish mushrooms growing in the spinach, which seem to sprout and then disappear. I'm not sure how often to water the plants and was advised to water the tomato plant every three days. It's obvious that I may be over watering the plant for mushrooms to be present. Can you please advise me on both I would love to one day enjoy them both without incident.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

First, welcome to the forum. Second and third, where do you live and what is the weather doing?

I have to water container plants daily here in Kansas. Too hot and too dry right now.

Spinach is a cool weather plant, if you live in a hot location, it may be too warm for it to grow much now.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've heard that for a potted tomato, 1 gal. a day. But there again, it does depend on the weather.

You said that your plant was purchased already potted, did you leave in this pot (I presume you did)? How big is this pot?

For a tomato plant, you really don't want to go smaller than a 5 gal bucket.

funnyguy

[url=https://organicgardenworks.com/2009/07/10/selfwatering-container-gardening.aspx]Self-watering containers[/url] are great for tomatoes because they maintain constant moisture. Just keep the reservoir full. Tomatoes should never dry out or wilt. Attach a large drum of water that feeds into the self-watering container and you can leave it for 2-3 weeks.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”