Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

The mounds are alive!! cooked yoour potatoes? How is that possible? Did you ad butter or something?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Sage Hermit wrote:The mounds are alive!! cooked yoour potatoes? How is that possible? Did you ad butter or something?

I think what HG meant was that he planted the potatoes into the bales and as the bales sat out in the elements, they broke down and, in turn, got seriously hot inside (compost can get up to 130 degrees F. :shock: ).

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, that's what I meant...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

True dat! :wink:

Hay, especially wet hay/straw can get very hot. Why do you think farmers bale those round bales and leave them n the field forever. So they will dry out. They must be just right fro storing under roof or they are a fire hazard. Every year I hear of at least one spontaneously combusting.

Living in the country as I do, I can tell you they will catch on fire pretty easy with a lighter and possibly some gas. Not that I have done this myself quite a few times. Being as I have never done this myself I wouldn't be able to tell you they make one hell of a fire on a chilly night. :lol:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Not that I have done this myself quite a few times.
:roll: Hahahahahahahahaha! I haven't done it quite a few times myself either :wink: :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

(Gix to farmer): "I don't know, the bale of hay just spontaneously combusted. I was just standin' there and it just went up in flames :?. Who knew? Since I just happened to have a bag marshmallows on hand and an apple branch, I figured I'd roast some. Me? Oh no, Sir, I'd never set one on fire." :lol:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”