love11

Peach tree in zone 5

Anyone ever do this ?

So I have this one peace tree and its about 6 foot tall bought it at lows at about 5 foot and I planted it in the yard and the ants where crawling on it taking bites of the leafs probly cus there sweet.

I saw a bug on it was kinda mad that he tolk a bite out of the leaf while I was watching.

But I want tree to grow roots because I dug a big hole and filled it with fox farms organic light warrior soil. cost like 30 bucks for 2 bags rich black soil with perlite and bat guana and kelp meal and worm castings.

Its been a mounth I guess its just been adjusting because of the hole roots havent grown out of the container it was in yet after it roots up the yard then it will be astablished But it takes so long I fertlized with fox farms bone meal and it will help the roots grow

garden5
Super Green Thumb

love11 wrote: Its been a mounth I guess its just been adjusting because of the hole roots havent grown out of the container it was in yet after it roots up the yard then it will be astablished But it takes so long I fertlized with fox farms bone meal and it will help the roots grow
Do you mean that you planted it in the ground in the container that it was already in? I know I must be reading something wrong so if you could clarify that statement it would be great :). Do you mean that it wasn't root-bound when you took it out of the container or that it wasn't growing roots out of the container?

Anyway, just give it time, I know it's possible to grow peaches up here in zone 5 :wink:. Tress take awhile to get established, but one thing you can do is mulch around the base of the tree with compost. You will want the mulch to be about as wide as the diameter of the spread of the branches.

Here's hoping you get a lot of peaches.

love11

Well I just filled a weel barral full of compost from the winter and put it right about where the stem tuches the soil around the root zone area.

Really excited to see this take off a grow high. Its looking beautyfull just needs more branches and fruit and ill be happy :) :D

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

When I lived in Milwaukee, WI, there was a neighbor who had two huge peach trees. They even produced :shock: . They weren't the healthiest looking trees, mind you, but I was sure impressed (and picked up a few peaches when they weren't looking :twisted:)

lilturtle
Cool Member

What do you all think about the donut peach tree in zone 5?

b_kind2animals

FWIW my next door neighbor successfully grew a peach tree (variety unknown). We live in the northwest 'burbs of Chicago, USDA zone 5b.

The good news is that he had little trouble w/ insects attacking the fruit. The bad news is that the tree succumbed to a tree borer at a rather early age.

OnlyOrganic
Newly Registered

My boss has 3 peach trees in his yard. He does't really take the greatest care of them, by that I mean hardly prunes them. So they are fairly small, I picked some today to try and some plums from another three he had. The trees are quite big tho. Proli 7-10 years old.

OG

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Someone in Casper, Wyoming, has a producing peach tree: My cousin's son's wife's parents. I would love to get a sucker or something from it. Peach trees are not supposed to grow up here, so that has to be one tough peach tree!

love11

nice

garden5
Super Green Thumb

stella1751 wrote:Someone in Casper, Wyoming, has a producing peach tree: My cousin's son's wife's parents. I would love to get a sucker or something from it. Peach trees are not supposed to grow up here, so that has to be one tough peach tree!
Definitely get a sucker, sounds like a good strain.

ektrules
Newly Registered

I live in Zone 5 Ohio, and planted a peach tree last year (Reliance variety). I got the seedling last fall, and just dug a hole, put a bunch of compost in it, put the tree in it, filled it in, then put mulch around it. It seems to be doing good. It actually produced TONS of small peaches this year. So much so that the little branches and trunk started bending under the weight and I had to pick them off.

I think the Red Haven variety is supposed to do good up here too

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

yes Redhaven and Reliance are varieties that are good for zone 5! I got a Redhaven this year. It is growing like a weed. :)

someone I know locally, has a full grown tree that produces masses of peaches each year.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Hey, Only Organic, it looks like you are in Missouri, and you found ripe peaches? I am south of you and all my peaches are still little green knots. The plums grew, matured and are in my freezer, and the peach tree is still just holding green knots!

I water, I fertilized, I foliar feed it, I pruned it last winter, and it sits and holds the peaches, not getting bigger, not ripening, just holding them.

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

Okay sort of off topic, but this has me wondering, can apricot trees grow in zone 4?

Just this summer I saw what looks like a healthy tree that produced tiny fuzzy orange fruits this summer. I tried to check on the tree ever so often so I could nab a few, but it looks like the owners got them all picked as soon as they ripened. I did get one off the ground though.

love11

https://www.willisorchards.com/product/Royal+Apricot+Tree?category=246

applestar
Mod

Ozark Lady, if you look at the variety list from this PA based nursery, you'll see that peach varieties have harvest window of about 2 months
https://www.acnursery.com/acn_peach.php

CherA

I hve grown peach trees here in a sub of Boston MA with extreme success. One of them was from a hueg peach stone from one of those humongous Georgia peaches, elberta is the name. It took three yrs til the peaches grew. But peach trees do not last long. They often in this area succomb to grubs, or peach tree fungus. The grubs got my silver peach tree and teh first Elberta and fungus got the second,l third and fourth and fifth eventually. There must be a precventative but I don;t knwow what it is. Cher A
As I said, it takes a few yrs to get the fruit even if you start with a small plant it will tkae time, two yrs usually. They do grow quite fast tho, and are quite beautiful. I had t cut down two lat year but will try again next year if I can get any advice on peaach fungi prevention and how to get rid of it on the two peach tree ornatmentalas that have had it for there yrs...very bad. Cher A

lily51
Greener Thumb

I live in Ohio zone 5. The peach trees in orchards typically have a good crop 1 out of 5 years due to your freeze-thaw-freeze we so commonly have in the spring. This year the trees are loaded. Up by Lake Erie, however, peach orchards do quite will (lake moderates the swings in temps in sprng). So depending on where you are in Ohio, yes you can successfully grow peach trees, you just may not have a good harvest every year !

ronbre
Cool Member

I have read over and over that you should not fertilize trees when you plant them, but rather just put in good topsoil and maybe any sod upside down in the hole to rot.

I have a lot of fruit trees (see fruit tree thread)..and they do fine.

ants won't generally bother your peaches, but they do like the trees and buds..watch for aphids that they might be milking.

there are leafcutter bugs that do use leaf parts..including ants..for their nests..they don't do that much harm to the plants

CherA

Hello Brenda and all,
I guess it's the area here (Boston). I live cloes to the ocean but not on it actually. still the weather is very very humid here for most seasons.

I have tried so many times I am almost key word beign almost ready to give up on the fruit trees.

These peach trees are well known for getting this peach tree fungus. Both my ornamentals (wihch belive it or not had tons of peaches on them!!) They are columner and over 30' high...as well as the regular peach trees have all suffered so badly from this fugus that they had to be cut down.

I read that if you fertilze the trees enough they may survive it but udually don't. I hate truly to cut down these two columnar ornamental peach trees. They aer gorgous not to mention the money they cost. I have no money to replace them.
The apple has that fungus that is known for apple trees here, too. It loloks horrible on all lof these trees and I hate to see them suffer so. I don;t know if it is harmful for the songbirds etc to eat fruit from these trees etc. Does anyone know?

Sprays are supposed to be the treatment for these trees so maybe we will make up enough of it to put in a plastic sprayer that yo attach to a hose and try it. Bbut yo must do it at certain times of the year and one I thikn is during dormancy when the water is shut off here else it will freeze the line/hose. It is a dilemma. Its's so frustrating to see the fruits of ones labor suffer like tihs pardpn teh pun.

I have dealt with the Japanese Beetles to a point and the aphids; the later very well with soapy spray, and so on. It was simple compared to this. It seems impossible to get rid of these fungi. My roses have that black rot too and it is not responding to teh sprays.

I want to remaoin organic but don;t know how that is possible. If you use soap and oil spray is that considered organic?? But that is not recommended for the fungi only for beetles, the red lily beetles and aphids all of which I have had and gotten rid of. they return I spray they go away and so on LOL.

But someone pleaes help me with these types of fungi on teh fruit trees. Any9one in this area deal with it? I am in Massachusettes and these fungi are famous rather infmaous here. neem oil is one of teh recommended treatments but these trees are getting completely destroyed and may not be remediable. The peach ornamentals arae only supposed to have a few if any peaches on them but mine have had tons and tons..they have had this diseaes and likely arrived wtih it already. I have had very bad luck in recent yers wtih Gurneys. There are placesI prefer to buy my online plants now, after spending thousands there, I learned there are tons of bad reviews and stories just like many of mine. I am getting off topic, right now am concerned with help for these fungi and remaining organic,. Do you thin it is possible? CherA

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am really sorry to hear about your trees. It would be such a shame to cut down big productive trees like that.

Neem oil and soapy water are organic solutions.

Copper sulphate is a fungicide that is also considered organic and okayed for organic growers (though as a metal it seems a bit of a stretch to me).

Other organic materials that have fungicidal properties include:

milk solution, baking soda solution, 3% hydrogen peroxide

(type milk solution or baking soda solution in the Search the Forum keyword box for recipes on how to do it)

All of those work best as preventatives, but can be used for treatment also. Since your problem is already advanced, I would spray every couple weeks, alternating different solutions.

I don't think the fungus on the leaves should make the fruit harmful to birds or people.

Full disclosure: I don't grow fruit trees myself, so have no direct experience of using any of this on fruit trees. I only responded because no one with fruit tree experience was jumping in. If you are spraying something as big as a tree, it wouldn't hurt to spray one small section first and make sure the spray doesn't burn the leaves or anything.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I remember seeing on gardens alive website that there were different organic sprays for fruit trees. not sure if one of those are for fungus or not, but it is worth a shot to check it out I suppose!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”