Bmerta
Newly Registered

Charlotte North Carolina - holes and tunnels in garden

Hi,
I've done some research on what could be causing the holes and tunnels in my yard and garden. I know I have moles, because the cats bring me gifts all the time... but... everything I've read so far indicate these holes are from pocket gophers, BUT... from what I've read, everything also indicates that p.gophers do not live in N.C.
Anyone from this area that knows different or has any ideas what else could be causing the holes/tunnels. I've been seeing some bulb/root damage... so something is eating from below.
Thank You,

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Might be voles, which commonly use the tunnels made by moles. In addition to voles, North Carolina's underground rodent population includes chipmunks, groundhogs, and two species of rats (cotton and Norway.)

To the best of my knowledge, most of these species emerge from their burrows to feed aboveground. Voles, however, do feed from within the burrows, so my guess is that's the beastie that's been munching on your plants. It's just a guess, though, as I haven't seen the burrows or holes, or any of the damage.

This North Carolina State University page has information on all of them. It has information to identify the animals, their usual habitat, descriptions of the holes they dig, their food habits, etc.

One word of caution: I have no idea how long ago this information was compiled, so the recommended methods of control may no longer be acceptable. I noted, for instance, that for one species, they recommended leg hold traps. In Oregon, it is no longer legal to use those, except in very rural areas, because of the dangers posed to children, pets and non-targeted species of wildlife. You will have to make your own evaluation and decisions about the methods you choose to employ.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/wildlife/wdc/

garden5
Super Green Thumb

How bad is the damage, what is it like. The reason I ask this is because there are also insects that cause damage to the bulb so I'm wondering if it definitely is what's making those tunnels. Is the damage only occurring in the path of the tunnelers?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”