amuffledscream
Newly Registered

Purple stems on vegetable seedlings?

I started my vegetables from seed in peat pellets this year. Unfortunately, I left all my pellets outside one night and an unexpected storm blew them EVERYWHERE. Although I was able to salvage most of them, I now have seedlings that I can't identify. This is my first year really gardening, so I don't have enough experience to recognize my babies. I have a bunch of seedlings that have purple stems... I assumed they are eggplant. But from the information I've gained from the internet, eggplant stems should be green. :/ Can anyone help me out here? If you need pictures, I'd be more than happy to post some. Thanks!

applestar
Mod

By all means, post pictures, and we'll try our best. Do give us a hint and let us know what you planted though.... :wink:

amuffledscream
Newly Registered

I planted organic eggplant, organic bell peppers, organic cucumber, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, tomato, cow peas, green beans, and jalapeno peppers. I know it's not cauliflower, broccoli, tomato, or beans. So, that only leaves a few options. I really think it's eggplant.[img]https://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/amuffledscreamx/plants/plant3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/amuffledscreamx/plants/plant5.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/amuffledscreamx/plants/plant1.jpg[/img]

I transplanted one of them into a cup (all I had available at the time) with not-so-good soil. It's doing good though. The others were planted in a pot, closely together. Don't know how or why I did that. Maybe I mixed up the seeds. =/ My only excuse is I'm a beginner! lol

applestar
Mod

It already has two pairs of true leaves and they don't look like eggplant. This potted plant reminds me of my Chocolate Cherry Sunflower seedlings....

amuffledscream
Newly Registered

Hmmm. I did plant sunflowers a few weeks back, but I'm certain they all died. I went on vacation and my boyfriend neglected to tell me that he had taken them out of their humidity dome, so they dried out. It's a possibility that some survived and got mixed in with the new sprouts... I guess we'll wait and find out. But that definitely explains the ones in the pot.

P.S. Thank you. :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

They do kind of look like sunflowers! Hmm, I wonder if they're not your peppers? They don't look like tomatoes, but one thing you could do is pinch one of the leaves and smell it. That may tell you something.

applestar
Mod

Uh, uh. The seed leaves are wrong for peppers.

amuffledscream
Newly Registered

I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with applestar on this one, they've got to be Sunflowers. A bit disappointing, but still a beautiful plant I can nurture. :) Thank you again.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I looked at my sunflowers and, although much larger, do resemble your seedlings. If I recall right, even my one variety had purple stems when it was in the seedling stage.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”