LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

First mess of beans!!!

OUCH! MY BACK!! :wink: :lol:

I had no idea there were so many. I'm sure I missed some and there are tons of smaller ones too :D Best first harvest I've ever had! AND they are organic, of course. And they are nearly perfect looking, without even a whiff of pesticide :D . Very excited! The eggplant seem to have pulled through the flea beetles without missing a beat!

[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff139.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff141.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good there Lindsy. My beans are being eaten by something.

My eggplant looks like that as well.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Thanks Gix :) The eggplant are producing fine! Each one has at least 2 baby eggplant, and or flowers. The flea beetles seemed to have moved on for the time being. I didn't do anything about them, just left them to eat their eggplant leaves. They stayed away from the beans :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Looking good, are they bush or pole plants? Also, I'm a bit worried about my eggplant as they don't look like conventional eggplants, in fact, you can't tell the difference between them and the tomatoes :shock:.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

These are bush beans. Blue lake to be exact. I have pole beans, but they are planted with my corn. You might have something nice :D , or maybe a mixup at the seed company. I have been getting small pink tomatoes off of one of my "black krims" :roll:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:These are bush beans. Blue lake to be exact. I have pole beans, but they are planted with my corn. You might have something nice :D , or maybe a mixup at the seed company. I have been getting small pink tomatoes off of one of my "black krims" :roll:
The more I look at them, the more I'm wondering about a mis-labeled seed packet.

ronbre
Cool Member

here in michigan I'm finally getting some sugar snap peas off of my vines..probably the fact that we are getting rain is a big big help !! My beans are just barely up now, as are my squash, melon, cukes, coles, etc..but I have greens and peas and asparagus now that I'm getting besides the usual onions, herbs,etc..berries should be ready very soon

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Definitely jealous of the berries and asparagus!!! I need to plant some roots! I have been giving bags and bags of squash and zucchini away for a couple of weeks now :() Bout to make some PICKLES (YAY!) with all the cukes. I put my recipe on the recipe page if anyone wants to try it. Little old lady next door gave it up when I brought her a bag of veggies! We are still getting sugar snap peas, but I fear they will be goners after today(98F today :shock: ) found some large melons out there this weekend too! It's unbelievable we are so much farther ahead of y'all. :D I already miss the radishes and lettuce though:) wish they were all season crops!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Here's a cheat for pickling cucumbers (yes, I know it's not really pickling, but it tastes good anyhow):

Take a jar of store-bought pickles (organic if you can find them) and use up all the pickles.

Next, slice a cucumber into disks and place them in the pickle-juice.

Let sit in the refrigerator for a few days and the enjoy.

OK, there not like real pickles, but it's something to do if you get extra cuckes.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”