Dixana
Greener Thumb

mushrooms EVERYWHERE!!!

So a few days my dog (who I am SERIOUSLY considering getting rid of) shredded a bag of mushroom compost all over the lawn.
Today I noticed there are musrooms growing all over! I tried to pick the compost up but it didn't work so I just raked it into the lawn.
Could the spores have survived the packaging/shipping/sitting in the sun etc, or was it just good growing medium for other mushrooms? I'll post some pictures later.
I just can't get over mushrooms growing all over my VERY sunny yard!

ronbre
Cool Member

if they are edibles, pick them until they are gone, you are very lucky, cause if you are like me, I'm addicted to mushrooms !!!

b_kind2animals

Usually bags of mushroom compost is spent medium from mushroom farms. While I suppose that the m/c could have "seeded" your lawn, I doubt that it could have gone to "fruit" that quickly. Recent weather conditions favorable to mushroom growth of whatever kind they are, was probably more responsible.

Just lucky coincidence would be my bet.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

ronbre wrote:if they are edibles, pick them until they are gone, you are very lucky, cause if you are like me, I'm addicted to mushrooms !!!
Please, whatever you do, be very cautious about eating wild mushrooms. There are so many types and there are some poisonous types that look strikingly similar to the edible varieties.

Here's the the thing about poisonous mushrooms: they can kill you!! And if not that, can really (and I mean really) make you sick.

Put it this way, I know of a person who ate some mushrooms from is back yard (and this guy wasn't dumb, especially about food) and he ended up getting so sick from them that he was in and out of the hospital and was even in a wheelchair. Even with wilderness survival they say not to eat any mushrooms you find in the woods. Mushrooms aren't things to be taken lightly.

Of course, you will hear of those who have eaten wild mushrooms for years without any trouble, I just think that they are best left alone.

Good luck with getting them out of your yard, though.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Yeah I had no intentions on eating them, I'm not enough of a mushroom expert. I'm not real worried about getting them out of the yard either, the dogs leave them alone and my son doesn't eat mushrooms unless they're chopped up in his food and he doesn't know he's eating them :lol:
More have sprouted though, and I'm wondering what I've done aside from the mc mewss to make my yard go so fungal. We've had a lot of rain though and very little sunshine so it will be interesting to see what happens this weekend when the sun comes back full force.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Some areas just seem very conducive to mushroom growing for some reason.

soil
Greener Thumb

be happy as the fungi is helping your lawn grow better

vermontkingdom

I too have an unusually high number of mushrooms growing in my lawn and garden. We've lived here for more than 37 years and I've never seen so many. I guess it must be the weird spring and early summer weather we've experienced here in Vermont.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I did some research on mushrooms in college there are several test you can do to determine what type of mushroom you have. There are so many mushrooms that look alike be careful not to eat anything poison. If in dought never eat a mushroom.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You could save them up and make mushroom compost. :idea:.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”