Are you paying as much attention to your own nutritional needs as you do your gardens?

Yes
35%
No
38%
Maybe so
28%

Total votes: 40
applestar
Mod

I gave my neighbor some lambs quarters in a bag of mixed "salad greens" :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

In Northern India it is considered a mast food source, and is often the "spinach" in Sag paneer; one of my favorites... mmm... Indian food...

HG

HealthyAt4n
Newly Registered

Sage Hermit wrote: When we think of healthy food we generally associate what we know to be healthy and what we are used to hearing about. When I personaly think of healthy food I think of organic food that has the optimal level of nutrients. It could taste bitter but so what. It is time to focus on our own needs as living organisms for a moment while we are attaining knowledge in how to grow.

Its interesting to have this Wolfberry inside our garden too.. I never knew that this dried fruit is rich in Vitamin C.

Agree with you in your idea, to achieve the full nutrients of the plants it should be feed naturally (organic food).

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

In my study I have an old edition of the Weed Cookbook ( the one that details edible local weeds). Its been in my possession since I was a kid. Dandilions pack lots of calcium.

Super Food Number 2:

[url=https://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3001/2]Sweet Red Pepper[/url] : NUTRIENT BALANCE & PROTEIN QUALITY Charts

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/untitled-1.jpg[/img]
Ranked 82 out of 100 for completeness! :o Just wow!

Super Food Number 3:

[url=https://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2]Spinach[/url]

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aaa.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/popeye.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Sage Hermit on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

That's awesome news for cuz I LOVE red bell peppers. I have five plants for them and almost question if that's enough as I'll sit and eat two whole peppers like they're candy. YUMMMMMMM
I have some yellows too, but mainly for our stir fry.
Toss EVOO, LOADS of garlic, and onion in a pan for a few min.
Meanwhile in a bowl mix red, green, and yellow peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, fresh basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley (I sneak in a tad of cilantro if the hubby isn't looking) all chopped into pieces of course. Throw in the pan 5-10 min then add grape tomatoes.
Best and easiest dish on the planet to make. Makes an excellent sidedish for cookouts too. Or add shrimp or cooked chicken while it's cooking..........Now I want veggies NOW :(

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am leading a weed walk tomorrow in Glastonbury CT with my good griend Lindsay Roepelle, where we are going to talk about wild foraging as a healthy and inexpensive alternative to factory foods. Should be a lot of fun. I have walked the farm before and there is a lot of wild food going on there; fiddleheads, blueberries, chokeberry, serviceberry, lambsquarters, purselane, dock, evening primrose, jewel weed and more.

Perhaps all not exactly superfoods, but take jewelweed; not only is it good eats, but it is medicinal for treating itches and poison ivy. That's pretty super...

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Scott I wanna tell you that I admire you very much. Its been a real pleasure. After talking about herb salads and reading the data on sage and mint and basil, this is the data I am trying to find .

By my definition Mint is almost a super food and Blueberries Strawberries and Raspberries make a superfood. What the Blueberries lacks the Strawberry has and so on and so forth. There is far greater data on the commercially grown foods than on our weeds. Let me know any neat details from the walk. Learning how to make antidotes for things is another quest. Last night I was reviewing some notes from school lectures on aromatherapy and remembered our skin can absorb Molecules in essential oils from plants.

The best definition of a super food is any food that fights a certain ailment well. It doesnt have to be high in all the elements and nutrients. Ginger is a very good anti inflammatory. Acai is one, Pomegranates are one, Blueberries are yet another. You mentioned in my photo journal about Currant too.

applestar
Mod

You can eat JEWELWEED?! Remember the 3~4 cu.ft. I pulled and threw out (hopefully for bioremediation of the herbicided/pesticided area)? I have MORE! Not as much, but enought to harvest and eat in safe areas. Any tips on how to eat?

Also, I always get confused -- so it's Chokeberry and NOT Chokecherry that is good to eat? I was about to buy a plant to a native plant sale, then had to back off because I couldn't remember. (put it back on the list for next year :wink:)

Robins are eating my serviceberries (fruiting for the first time this year) at red stage -- doesn't look like I'll get to taste the fully ripe unless I protect them. :x

I wish I could join you on that walk -- sounds like a lot of fun! 8)

applestar
Mod

I've read that cattail pollen is high quality vegan protein worthy of being called "super food".

Last year, my kids brought home a couple of cottoning cattail stalks from a lake where we went fishing, and we decided to tie them up on their garden fence for the birds to use as nesting material. Well, some of them must have blown into my rice paddy because I have several cattails growing there.

If I had the space, I'd love to grow and experiment with cattails -- as it is, I've had to cut them down, but this is the right time of the year to harvest the cattail hearts. I just had some in a mixed salad and they were delicious. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, jewelweed. Impatiens capensis. You can take the whole plant up until they are about six inches tall, but I'd recommend just the leaves after that. Not a great raw nibble or salad plant, but a good cooked green...

In it's more mature state it is a famous remedy for any itch and dries out poison ivy blisters nicely at the same time. Who needs calamine?

By the by, plaintain weed fills the same bill, being great for any manner of itch, absolutely famous for bee stings (I just chew the leaf and apply that as a poultice; stops the pain almost instantly), and to top it off, it is a good salad herb or cooked green! And show me a property where I can't find some and I'll show you someone using WAY too many pesticides...

As for chokecherry and chokeberry, both are edibles, if a bit tart (hence the names). Chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) is a tree with clusters of black berries; Thoreau says "... they are not quite palatable. However, finding some once near the end of August, dead ripe, and a little wilted, they were tolerable eating-- much better than I had ever tasted, yet the stones were much in the way." They were a regular addition to pemmican, in the same manner as serviceberries...

Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa, A. arbutifolia) are the black and redfruited blueberry imposters. While the fruit is tart beyond belief even at full ripeness (August around here), Thoreau notes "December 19th, 1850. The dried chokeberries so abundant in the swamps are now quite sweet." I have tried mine around this time of year and concur, but if getting the prime antioxidant is your goal, suck it up and harvest ripe (and I would suggest the black form as the darker the fruit, the higher the antioxidant levels in general). The antioxidant levels of Aronia rival the expensive and remote tropical berries we hear so much about... and these are free for the finding around here...

We tend to ignore our wild foods, treating them as "survival foods" or weeds, familiarity breeding open contempt. Yet some of these plants we walk by daily or rip from our gardens hold secrets and treasures just as valuable as tropical berries from the other side of the planet. Research your local plants and I am certain you will run across some wonders you were unaware of.

Sage, thanks for all the head swellin' praise, and go find Aronia melanocarpa on your farm (look in the lowlandy wet spots). Bet you have some... ain't this a fun thread you started?

HG

ronbre
Cool Member

you can propagate your raspberries by laying them down in the row in the fall ...the new canes for next year..cover the NODES with dirt and in the spring you should have baby plants at every single node..

I have heard that there may be certain ones that this might not work with..but it works with the ones I have.

if you have black raspberries it works really well, also if you are to allow the tip to touch the ground it will root with black raspberries and a few of the others.

I have hundreds of kinds of native berries and fruits growing on my property and have always eaten the "whole grain, fresh fruits and vegetables" way with very little meat and fat..however..when I found out that I was starting to have prediabetes..I had to eliminate nearly all carbs for a period of time to get the blood sugar under control..so I went on a diet to where I could only have 20 net carbs per day and basically living on meat and fat.

so those of you that are younger and are following the "healthy eating" plan of lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables"...please remember..that if you are doing that you are setting yourself up for diabetes..you have to be very careful to not overdo the carbs.

someone said they are eating 80 % carbs and 20 % protein..that diet will cause alzheimers..you must have fat to feed your brain cells..

just a warning..I thought I was doing the right thing too..but now with a lot of study and changing my diet, I found out how wrong I was.

there is good information out there if you search for it and study it you will find out that the entire high carb low fat low protein thing was brought about in the 1970's by George Mcgovern and that it has since been disproven wrong but there are so many people making big money off of the so called heart healthy diet..and low fat diets, and diet pop etc..that you won't be hearing about the truth unless you search for it.

yes whole fruits, vegetables and grains are good..but not to the exception of meat, fish, eggs, and fats that you have to have to remain healthy

I ate the way you are talking about for nearly 60 years..and wasn't until after that that I found out I was wrong..I'm not trying to come down on anyone but you really need to find out the truth for yourself

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A concentration on fruits might lead to a carb imbalance, but if you are focused on greens (with the higher fibre side scouring out your innards and passing through without huge nutrient inputs), there should not be an issue...

If we look to Nature, which provides huge amounts of greens, fair amounts of fruits and lesser amounts of proteins and fats, it stands to reason we will not go far wrong...

HG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

"Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa, A. arbutifolia) are the black and redfruited blueberry imposters. While the fruit is tart beyond belief even at full ripeness (August around here), Thoreau notes "December 19th, 1850. The dried chokeberries so abundant in the swamps are now quite sweet." I have tried mine around this time of year and concur, but if getting the prime antioxidant is your goal, suck it up and harvest ripe (and I would suggest the black form as the darker the fruit, the higher the antioxidant levels in general). The antioxidant levels of Aronia rival the expensive and remote tropical berries we hear so much about... and these are free for the finding around here..."

This is a photo from my forest garden. Aronia "Viking" an improved variety. I eat them fresh of the bush

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Aronia003-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Aronia004-2.jpg[/img]

I have about 60 fruit trees and about as many fruiting bushes.

Seaberry, highbush cranberry, honeyberry, strawberry, blackberry, currant, gooseberry, filberts, blueberry, goumi, elderberry, serviceberry, and adding more every year. Many of these are dual purpose plants. Fix nitrogen and produce food. A healthy orchard should have 10% nitrogen fixers spread throughout.

I also raise lean source of meat. Rabbit and Muscovy duck.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nice pics DDF!

I am growing 'Autumn Magic' myself, but have heard of 'Viking' and it looks like a doer. Fresh off the bush you say? Doesn't pucker your whole face? (My suggestion for fresh aronia would be juicing and sweetening with your sweetener of choice (I'd use agave).

HG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Fresh off the bush you say? Doesn't pucker your whole face?
It's hard to describe. Not sweet, not tart. We have them in our pancakes. If you want something that makes your toes curl, eat a highbush cranberry. :shock: They hang through the winter. The birds won't even eat them.

Eric

applestar
Mod

I've read that it's the European V. Opulus that is the toe curler. True American V. Trilobum is supposed to be tasty and the northern V. edule is said to be the sweetest.

I bought V. Trilobum 'Wentworth' this spring thinking it's a native selection, but I've since found it described as V. Trulobum var opulus 'Wentworth' :?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I went to look on Raintree Nursery site. I have 4 of these from them.

(Viburnum trilobum) A beautiful 10' tall, shade tolerant ornamental with showy white spring blossoms. The red fruit is attractive to birds and can be used to make preserves, syrup or wine

I would not call them tasty :shock:

I find the bird part not to be true. :?

ihateweeds
Newly Registered

I never gave a thought about growing those expensive health drink ingredients at home. Maybe I'll search the internet for some seeds. Great Idea :D

applestar
Mod

Well, I planted my V. trilobum. If nothing else, it will replace part of the existing Rose of Sharon hedge and provide a screen from the neighbor's side yard, though I'm seriously disappointed that its native status is in question though. I guess I'll find out if the local birds like the berries. :?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have always been told V.trilobum was native and my two definitvie sources agree. Don Leopold's Native Plants Of The NorthEast lists it as V. trilobum, and my buddy Bill Cullina's Trees, Shrubs, And Vines lists it a V. opulus var. americana (syn. V. trilobum).

So while there appears to be some scientific discontinuity on whether it is a variety of V. opulus or it's own seperate species, there is no doubt that American cranberrybush is American...

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

https://oracvalues.com/sort/orac-value

Oxygen
Radical
Absorbance
Capacity

antioxidants measurement scale

Sage> goji
Cloves> all

In China, cloves were not only used for cooking but also for deodorization; anyone having an audience with the Han emperor had to chew cloves to prevent any undesired smell.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Sage Hermit wrote:https://oracvalues.com/sort/orac-value

Oxygen
Radical
Absorbance
Capacity

antioxidants measurement scale

Sage> goji
Cloves> all

In China, cloves were not only used for cooking but also for deodorization; anyone having an audience with the Han emperor had to chew cloves to prevent any undesired smell.
Interesting stuff, SH. Who knew that cinnamon was such a great antioxidant?

As far as nutrients go, I'm a firm believer that food grown in an organic home garden is more nutritious than the commercially grown foods.

There were studies that were done on corn and it was found that the mass grown corn has lower nutrient levels then the home-grown kind. Why? Because the inorganic farming methods stripped the ground of many nutrients and minerals....thus lowering them in the vegetable.

Home gardens, on the other hand, which are amended with compost and have crops rotated, don't suffer as bad from this "nutrient drain."

Note: I'm recalling this from memory, so some things may not be exact, but this was the underlying concept.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

cloves are 12.4 x greater in antioxidants than goji and nearly 50x greater than strawberries

Here is my antioxidant tea:

Boiling water+any tea you like
Sage - (Salvia elegans) + (Salvia officianalis) Pineapple + culinary
Mint - (Mentha spicata) Spearmint
Cinnamon - Half a stick or if you are out powder.
Cloves - 4 or 5 whole cloves

When you added all the ingredients let the tea bag sit over the leaves pressing it all under water. Add honey when not boiling.

My friend from UAE showed me how to make his countries tea.
Base:
1 boil water.
2 let settle on low

3 add sage. (its an over powering herb)
4. add a teaspoon or two rosewater. Arabic: Ma-ward
5. add just a table spoon of sugar
6. add mint or any of your fav tea bags.
Add: Sugar / Honey / Cream as you like.

Very wonderful tea. I have no other use for rosewater than this special tea
Last edited by Sage Hermit on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:,,, As far as nutrients go, I'm a firm believer that food grown in an organic home garden is more nutritious than the commercially grown foods.

There were studies that were done on corn and it was found that the mass grown corn has lower nutrient levels then the home-grown kind. Why? Because the inorganic farming methods stripped the ground of many nutrients and minerals....thus lowering them in the vegetable.
I believe that you are right.

An article in the latest Mother Earth News magazine, stated that about 80 million tons of grain are exported out of the USA every year, along with all of the soil nutrients (NPK, etc...) contained in those grains... creating a constant slow drain of the inherent fertility of US cropland.

csvd87

Interesting thread, just got a cranberry plant the other day, I already have a couple huckleberry bushes along with salmon berries and wild raspberries, we also have salal berries and oregon grapes growing nearby. Oh and I bought an Alpine Strawberry, see how it does (its on my back porch in a 5 gallon bucket, if I put anywhere else the deer will eat it.

I love huckleberries when I'm camping, add them to cereal or in pancakes.

I was also just googling Mountain Ash and finding that the berries are actually edible, we have a loaded tree right now and its typically there for the birds.

Runningtrails

Great thread! I started collecting native and healthy berries in a special "wine and pie" garden last year. I have baby goji berries that I grew from seed. I have the normal raspberries, strawberries, lots of wild blackberries, rhubarb, black elderberries, black mulberries, gooseberries, currants, 'Haskap" honeyberries, serviceberries, and lavender. I have seeds planted to grow sea buckthorn and thimbleberries.

This year I grew chichiquelites and ground cherries too. These two are annuals, going from seed to berry in one season. I got a LOT of fruit from those two, more than I could use and made some great pies and jam!

My two currant babies have dissappeared. I sure hope they come back in the spring! The sea buckthorn is not up yet, having just planted the berries a couple of weeks ago, but I have great hopes for them and some spare seed in case these don't take. I really want the sea buckthorn for my soap! I think it needs winter stratification, though, so I might plant some seeds in the garden next week and winter sow some.

I also have some jewelweed seeds (I. capensis) that I collected from the wild about a month ago. I plan to scatter those where I want them to grow this coming week. I have lots of impatiens glandulifera. The dried seeds taste like walnuts and are great in baking! Do anyone know if it has the same 'poison ivy cure' properties as I. capensis? I want the I.capensis for my soap too.

That garden so desperately needs a fall cleanup but is sitting under the snow at the moment. I'm hoping to get to it next week. The raspberry babies need to be dug up and replanted in the row and the annual plants need to be pulled and composted. We have both been so sick here for the past couple of weeks. It's hard to get outside and get anything done!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE the rosewater - I love the stuff! There are a number of Indian recipes involving rosewater and saffron.

One is galub jamun (sometimes spelled gulab jamun). Combine sugar,water, cardamom and simmer until it is a thin syrup. Add saffron and rose water (or rose extract).

In the meantime, combine instant non-fat milk powder, bisquick, melted butter or Ghee, milk into a stiff dough. Form the dough into walnut sized balls and bake. Once baked, pour slightly cooled syrup over them in a shallow serving dish or bowl.

Recipe is in Vegetarian Epicure cookbook or available on-line. They are WONDERFUL. One of my favorite company desserts. People don't really recognize what the rosewater & saffron flavor is, but they love it.

applestar
Mod

Runningtrails wrote:I also have some jewelweed seeds (I. capensis) that I collected from the wild about a month ago.
I did that too two years ago. I wanted some jewelweed, and when I saw some flowering above a drainage reservoir, memorized that location and went back for the seeds later on. The plant was hanging over the water so I told the kids to stay back while I leaned from the concrete bridge to gather the seeds. As I was leaning, I heard rustling sounds and little hands grasp the back of my shirt and my pantwaist from behind. My kids decided they wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fall in. :lol:

I was only able to get a handful -- maybe 7 seeds, and I didn't do anything more than to scatter them in a location I thought was best suited. But they all grew last year, and this spring, the area was absolutely CARPETED with jewelweed seedlings. So make sure you scatter them where you really want them. :wink:

Runningtrails

I hope mine grow that well! I want a lot of it for soap making.
I'm glad you didn't fall in!

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

This week end I am giving a lecture on Super Foods at a Wellness Center in MN. In a few days I plan on sharing more about herbs and sprouts.

Would love to hear more if anyone is still interested in this subject to give me ideas for topics during the lecture.I have invited people in my community to come at 11 - 1 and I will Go over the definition of a super food have some samples to try for free, Show how to sprout, what to buy, recipes, health benefits nutritional values, what to avoid, herbal remedies, How much and when to eat, pass out brochure for super food, tea making, juicing, growing, square foot gardening? etc.

Read something interesting. I read that the carcinogens you eat when charbroiling meat is decreased by 80% when marinaded in rosemary and thyme. Also Hamburgers covered in rosemary is good to eat. Perhaps the combination of the rosemary and thyme and olive oil creates a Super Hamburger in more ways than one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A study was done on beet juice and it turns out it strengthen physical stamina. Good for moving hay bails, or hiking or kyaking.

Beet Greens: Nutrients & Proteins Chart
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/beet.jpg[/img][img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/beetP.jpg[/img]

Alert!!: Do not drink Beet juice with other Sodium (Na). It has plenty.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Here is a [url=https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2333/2]Mung Bean Sprout[/url]. I was looking for some saturated fats as someone raised a good point about eating fats and oils.
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aaa-1.jpg[/img]

A good oil with hi saturated fat is [url=https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/7963/2]Coconut Oil[/url].

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/ssaa.jpg[/img]

Also contains trans fats.

Memo: make me coconut bread pls, thx.

:hide:

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Ant Spasmodic Herbs:
Angelica/ Anise/ Basil/ Bay/ Bergamot/ black pepper/ chamomile/champhor/Carawa/Cardamom/Catnip/Cedarwood/Citronella/ Clary Sage/ Coriander/ Cumin/ Cypress/ Dill/ Eucalyptus/ Fennel/ Ginger/ Helicrysum +/Hyssop

After I formed this brief list I went and ate some basil! I want to make some soup. Will be making other lists here soon. Hope you don't mind.

soil
Greener Thumb

True, which is why I have started giving some weeds some prime time spots in my beds (which really freaks some folks out)...
you wont believe the faces I see on people when I show them my lambs quarters bed, my stinging nettle patch, my dandelion bed, my purslane area( my favorite) and my other eatable weed dedicated areas. it gets even better when you grab some and eat it too.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Oh yes I would... :roll:

:lol:

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

8)[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/22.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/11.jpg[/img]
Lemons
Carrot
Cuccumber
Broccoli
Apples
Ginger
Beets & Beet Greens
Sweet Red Pepper
Garlic
Celery
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/33.jpg[/img]
Juice A Sweet Red Pepper/Beets/Beet Greens/Apple/Lemon

Juice B Basil/Parsley/Cilantro/Mint/Celery/Cucumber/Green Bell Pepper/Cabbage/Broccoli

applestar
Mod

Wow! look at the COLOR on those! just SCREAMS nutrition! :lol:
what kind of juicer do you have? did you mention it when we had that discussion once before?

I don't have a decent juicer, but when I make smoothies, I typically add raw local honey, sometimes bee pollen, flaxseed oil, sometimes raw nuts. :wink:

How do they taste? 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

we do beet apple ginger carrot and it is delicious and extremely good for you. the scraps from the juicer make perfect worm food too.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Its incredibly nutritious. Got a run of the mill juicer that has been working overtime since middle of last year. The left over pulp does make good worm food but it also makes good on salads and what not. To be honest I don't remember discussing juice at all yet.

A friend of mine makes smoothies too. I will have to share some smoothie masterpieces with you. Smoothies are a good way to sneak in your vitamin mix/ algae/ sea weed/ etc. My friend is a fan of almond butter.

SH

F0od

Awesome posts HG, I share your love for natives, and I admire your passion. In the fall I was out on my front lawn (it's a lawn on its own accord ><) picking lambs quarter leaves to finish off stir fry with, after eating some raw of course. We probably had 5-6 5 foot tall plants that grew on their own accord. We have a lot of London rocket mustard, and cheese weed growing around the yard as well that we love to eat. And Various natives we've planted that have yet to deliver the goods.

With a simple walk around the neighborhood there are wild currants, acorns, mesquite pods(need to do mesquite harvest this year!!!), hackberries (do not crunch the seeds!), sunflowers, Jerusalem artichokes(so I'm told, yet to identify them), yucca flowers, prickly pair fruits, agave, ocotillo flowers, and roots that make a tea I've yet to try, and probably 2 handfuls I can't remember. Most natives around here don't give up their bounty easily, or in large quantities :x

This is going to be our third year of trying to teach ourselves to garden with little to no experience hehe. We grow annuals(when they choose to grow), and more standard fruit trees in our back yard, but you gotta love those easy to grow natives, and unruly weeds :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”