rstanza

Cotton Seed Meal

I'm trying to use cotton seed meal as a plant fertilizer, I'm having problems with a percentage to use? I'm doing raised gardens and using M. G. Soil Great plants! But not happy w/taste of produce. Any Help, Thanks Ron

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I like to work in cotton burr compost (Back to Nature brand). It is a bit chunky. I use it as a compost to help break up the soil, adds nutrients, but not a fertilizer. I add it to containers and in the ground when freshening a bed.

rstanza

I just found the answer to my question Thanks for your answer Ron see below

Cottonseed meal is an ideal fertilizer for use in flower beds because it provides the needed nutrients, prevents damage to feeder roots, furnishes long lasting effects, and improves soil condition. Work the meal into the soil at the rate of 6 pounds (one gallon) per 100 square feet of bed each time the flower bed is tilled or spaded in preparation for planting. If soils are seriously deficient, a recommended fertilizer should be used with the cottonseed meal at the rate of 1½ to 2 pounds per 100 square feet. Mulch around the plants with a 1 to 2 inch layer of cottonseed hulls or other organic material to help conserve soil moisture and prevent unwanted weeds and grasses.

Cottonseed meal is a premium, organic, slow-release lawn fertilizer that can be used alone or with a mixture of other organic or inorganic fertilizers. It contains about 6½% nitrogen, 2½% phosphoric acid, and 1¾% potash. These nutrients are released slowly and therefore are available to turf grass for extended periods of time. Cottonseed meal may be applied in liberal amounts because it will not burn leaves and resists losses by soil leaching. The organic matter it provides improves soil texture and helps conserve soil moisture. During dry weather and in low rainfall areas, water turf grasses sufficiently to keep the soil moist around grass roots. Light, frequent watering tends to prevent deep, efficient rooting and should be avoided. A minimum of one-half to one inch of water should be applied at each irrigation.
[url]https://www.cottonseed.com/publications/beautifulgardens.asp[/url]

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the info! I plan to use it more regularly when freshening the beds, and also when I freshen containers next spring.
In the spring, now summer, work more topsoil and cotton burr in the perennial beds. And when I get to it mulch with shredded hardwood. Now that I am playing with more large containers and herbs, will work in topsoil and cotton burr come spring.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”