Which plant does better MG or organic?

Miracle Grow
19%
Organic
81%

Total votes: 27
Dixana
Greener Thumb

My pepper plants are not very big either (aside from the MG plant :roll:). I think for me it's heat related, they like it hot and we had two solid weeks of cloudy, wet, nasty weather. It's only been getting warm and sunny the last week or so, hopefully they'll catch up now.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

We had a cool, wet summer last year and nobody's peppers did well. Once you get some steady heat, they'll really perk up.

I have to check and see which ones were planted deep, HG, then I'll get back to ya on the tomato experiment. :wink:.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:evil: :x :cry: :evil:
STILL no blossoms on that stinkin MG plant! I have japs and peppers almost ready to pick on plants planted in the garden AFTER these plants! There are severtal large buds on the organic despite the fact it is 1/4 the size of the MG plant. If nothing else this experiment has reinforced to me what a giant waste of money miracle grow really is.
Top soil($1.13 a bag) + compost(free with very little effort and a lot less trash to take out) = better plants, better soil, more food vs Miracle Grow ($8+ a bag) lots more foliage, less food, contaminates the soil with chemicals......
Yep. Not impressed. If anything, I'm annoyed.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Big plants don't always mean big yields. Have you been giving ACT to the organic plant?

It just goes to show, the more we try to substitute our own systems for those of nature, the results decline.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Well first things first, I have to confess that I haven't been in the garden in almost a week :oops: We've had a lot going on.
But I was out there tonight and BOTH plants have no foliage from midplant down. :shock:
I have no idea what happened. The organic plant seems fine aside from having no leaves, the MG plant has some yellowing. We've had some pretty hot/humid weather and some INSANE storms (60 mph winds, flooding, etc) but......no bottom leaves?
I should also note the blossoms have disappeared from my organic with no signs of peppers and there IS a pepper about the size of a golf ball.
Weird weird weird.....

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like insectoids...

HG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Is the organic plant the one with the pepper? Does the MG one have any peppers on it?

About the tomato plant experiment: The 2 plant that were buried a little deeper are actually smaller than the other 4 :? . However, 1 has a large cluster of fruit on it and the other has the single largest fruit in the whole garden, so that may have something to so with it. Also, I think I may have accidentally knocked off a growing tip or two while I was pruning, so that may have contributed to it.

How deep did you bury your "deep" ones? Did you bury them to the top cluster or just 2 or 3 inches above the root ball? I planted them about 3 in. above the root-ball.

Decado
Green Thumb

I planted mine a foot deep and the plants are 7 feet tall now with lots of fruit.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If I planted mine that deep, I'd have the tops of the plants 4 in. underground :lol:.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I have decided to scrap this experiment for the year it was a complete bust. Between the freak downpouring rains followed by massive humidity and heat, then the stupid earwigs I don't think either plant is going to produce for squat. They both have two peppers but given their size I'm doubtful they will even get very large.
The only container plant I have that is doing ok is my one surviving wild boar berkely tie dye and I think that is only because I have babied the heck out of it.
I will redo this experiment next year. Though next year there will be another addition. Organic seed started in worm castings MG seed started in MG seed starter.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

yeah I will do the same experiment with you at the same time.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'll be looking forward to seeing the results. :D. (my money's still on the organic plant :wink: ).

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear that the experiment is a bust, but who knew this would be close to if not the hottest year on record. :shock:

Try again next year, I know my potted plants have gone to hell and back. I just can't keep up with them as hot as it has been.

Good luck with everything else. I believe there is some comfort coming in a cold (did I say cold, Bawhahahahahah!!!! I mean tiny bit cooler) front on it's way. :lol: :wink:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”