The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm with you FL; a bad idea all the way around.

Sage, I don't have a ready answer for dilution, but I suspect that depends on the plant. Salt tolerant types can probably take it straight up, but I'd go at least 50/50 fro most things just for safety sake...

HG
Scott Reil

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it was suggested to me that for most vegetables, 1 part pee to 10 parts water is good, and that heavy feeders like onions you can go towards 1:1...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Tater!

HG
Scott Reil

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Read Wikipedia Encyclopedia.

Its common names include saltpetre (saltpeter in American English), from Medieval Latin sal petræ: "stone salt" or possibly "Salt of Petra" and nitrate of potash. The name Peru saltpetre or Chile saltpetre (American Peru saltpeter or Chile saltpeter) refers not to potassium nitrate but to a similar chemical sodium nitrate. Major uses are in fertilizers.

Table Salt = Sodium Chloride + Ammonia from Urine = nitrogen converts to Sodium Nitrate in the compost process.

Toil
Greener Thumb

in the war for independence, washington and his army relied on saltpeter collected by sympathizer women to make powder. These women were truly brave patriots; saltpeter forms where people relieve themselves often, like latrines.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”