Toil
Greener Thumb

what I did with a mugwort patch

So I rebelled against the dig up the mugwort rule at my community garden, and I did it my way and made it look nice :twisted: This took me about 4 hours today. Digging up the mugwort would have taken maybe 2 hours, and would have left mugwortlings all over. So after the 2 hours, add in the 10 hours you don't spend pulling mugwort over the life of your cardboard barrier, and later on the time you save because it's no longer a good spot for mugwort.

Not digging - 4 hours
Digging - countless hours

So this big ole mugwort patch, its surrounded by trees, and not young ones. People have been trying to grow veggies there but it's not a great fit. Mugwort likes it just fine but the very happy milkweed outcompetes it. There is also an annual grass that is mugwort aggressive. They have a battle front.

I added some compost and a layer of old old grass clippings (couple years maybe), some branches from butterfly bush I hacked down, a bunch of weeds I mowed, and a bucket of bokashi.

I covered that with wet paper/cardboard as a barrier/food, and that was sprayed with EM and low quality fish emulsion. On top of that I added more old grass, some slightly rotted very rough browns, and whatnot.

I finished off with a good thick layer of very well aged wood chips. (unknown wood)

The soil here is quite sleepy under the microscope and bacterial when extracted and cultured, so I wanted to get all of the life going, not just fungi. Over time the addition of more fungal food will do that anyway.
Now I can keep taking samples to try and see if activity and diversity increase and how and when.

I've always liked the smothering techniques, but now that I am beginning to understand more about the creatures that live in our dirt, the more I feel like I am creating art.

applestar
Mod

You're off to a GREAT start! :D
I'd love to hear the progression -- 1 week later, 2 weeks later, 1 month later, etc. In my experience, 1 month later is a good waiting period, even when you're in a hurry to plant.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I told them two months, hoping for 3 weeks ;)

one member actually was removing my work when I did it in stages. Went as far as taking the cardboard home lol. So I did it in one day, and soaked the junk out of that cardboard. I let her know I need the exercise, so let's do it all summer. Only now I make sure it takes more energy to take away than to add.

I like the game. It's like trying to beat deer, and better for the soul than feeling animosity and frustration.

Toil
Greener Thumb

so far I'm seeing lots of flagellates but I'm spotting even more ciliates, in both the sample and in a molasses culture. However the culture seems quite different in terms of the cast of characters. I don't have the expertise to describe it, but if they are eating fish in situ, and I gave molasses in vitro, should I not expect to see a different cast?

Fungal hyphae - I have to look again. I didn't make notes, and I'm confused about which sample had what. It seems so memorable in the moment. I wasn't really looking for hyphae though, since I just smothered the mugwort. What I want to see - and what I'm seeing - is activity. That is already a victory.

microarthropods - nil

nematodes - not huge numbers but a few. I could not tell what type.

[/I]

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”