Dixana
Greener Thumb

I've taken to just pulling up the ground ivy/creeping charlie out by hand. Trying to kill it completely won't do me any good as the people who's backyard is adjacent to mine is nothing BUT ground ivy. I guess the previous owners of that house used to have a huge garden and the new people never seeded it or anything so the weeds took over.
I guess it's ok in the yard, but no one ever did tell me if mulch will smother it out of the garden....
On another note: I spoke too soon about not having dandelions.....they're everywhere now that spring has "sprung" :lol:

BackerBunch

I don't know how you would feel about this but if it were me, I would start by cutting it off at the source. You could take the weedeater and start 'trimming' down your property line. We have some ground ivy in some of our woods and this is how I keep in contained.

[img]https://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/OurBoys2007/Yardwork-Improvements/DSC_0485.jpg[/img]

(DH wants to put some red blocks there but personally I feel it would be harder to maintain.)

Then you could place a layer of newspaper along the newly trimmed area and cover with mulch. Depending on how fast it grows, you could go out there every few days with a rake and do a combover in the hopes of training it to stay in it's own yard. I don't know if that will work but it might be worth a try.

I would try using the newspaper and mulch method in the other part of your yard too. Do you know someone in the tree trimming business or has a wood chipper? Fresh chipped wood might warm up better than mulch that's been around awhile.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

They call that stuff Chick Weed in Tennessee. I have a lot of that in my yard it makes a lot of very nice blue flowers in the spring. It must also make billions of seeds because I have given up trying to pull it up because it just keeps on growing new plants.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”