shellsy
Newly Registered

Night Blooming Flowers

Found this article about night blooming gardens that give off a lot of fragrance during the evening, just wondering if anyone has ever grown any of these and if it worked... [url]https://www.longislandpress.com/2010/03/03/midnight-gardens-night-blooming-flowers/?utm_source=viral&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=JPG[/url][/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes!! I love evening fragrant flowers. I start moonflowers and nicotiana (ornamental tobacco) from seed every year. Plant some of both in containers on the deck where we sit in the evenings as well as else where in the garden. I also grow the lilies. Wonderful!

I'd love to do tuberose sometime, but it's not winter hardy and I can't have a garden full of stuff that has to be brought in.

I also (on a slightly different topic) have a white shade garden.... a flower bed where everything is either white foliage or white flowers (or both like the lamium white nancy!). Not all fragrant. But the white just glows out of the shade, especially at dusk.

nedwina

Four O'clocks are great. They attract the big moths, like the White Lined Sphinx, which are too cool for words.

I plant white daturas too, which bloom in the late afternoon into the early evening. If you catch them just right, you can witness the unfurling of the bloom. Gorgeous.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

morning glories bloom at night don't they?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They are called morning glories because they bloom in the morning. However moonflowers are a type of morning glory and they bloom at night.

Morning glories scientifically are Ipomoea purpurea, where the purpurea means purple. Moonflowers are Ipomoea alba, where the alba means white. Same genus, different species.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”