orgoveg
Green Thumb

Germination trouble

I was intrigued by the methods used on the winter sown website (wintersown.org) and decided to try a version of it this spring. I put some "potting soil" with 1 part "dirt" and 1 part compost into pots, then sowed tobacco and eggplant seeds. After lightly watering the seeds in, the pots were covered with saran wrap and I made several ventilation slits in each. I placed the pots in a sunny area outdoors every day and brought them in the house at night. Daytime temperatures have probably averaged 62 degrees (between 45 and 75).

I believe it has been 2 weeks and nothing has sprouted. Condensation collects under the saran wrap and the soil remains wet. I haven't added any water and I haven't seen any mold developing. I assume that the greenhouse effect heats the soil up enough in the sun, but tobacco and eggplant are both warm weather species. I reasonably believe that the seeds are not sterile.

I just put seeds on damp paper towels to germinate in jars indoors, but I'd like to make this other method work. It would be ideal for me as I don't have sunny windows as an option (the South side of the house has awnings and I have cats).

Does anyone see potential problems with this method?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying the heating pad now. Great idea.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If by "dirt" you mean soil from your yard, then your mix is very likely too dense and water retentive for use in containers, even just for starting seeds. It probably should have had a good helping of sand and/or perlite mixed in to lighten the mix and enhance drainage.

If nothing has sprouted after another week, you might want to check to see if your seeds are still there. They may be rotting away from accumulation of excess moisture. If that happens, don't despair. I think it's a lesson we all have to learn "hands on." That was true for me, at least.

Just improve your mix and try again. :)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Thank you for that advice. I believe you are right. I never added any more water and the soil was still wet after 2 weeks. I just re-potted them with some sand. Now I'm afraid I didn't use enough sand, but I'll just have to wait and see.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”