buckbuster

worm casting fertalizer

place out side of town is advertising the stuff and never heard of it. any one know what it is?
brad

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It can be vermicompost (most likely) although in the old days they would just harvest it off the top of lawns and such with special rakes.

Worm poop! It's really just worm poop.

That said, worm poop is amazing stuff. Loaded with enzymes and mucilage that builds biology in the soil, actually a fertilizer with a 1-1-1 assay, and if fresh enough, an innoculant for biology all its own. If you don't have worms aplenty (I was scooping up handfuls and throwing it back on beds last year), this can be a good start to building soils back to biological health.

HG

StorageSmart2
Cool Member

buckbuster wrote:place out side of town is advertising the stuff and never heard of it. any one know what it is?
brad
Vermicompost is actually incredibly easy to set up in your own home, rather than outsourcing from some "place" just outside of town. There are tons of articles on the net about how to set up your own or you can check out the composting forum here.

I recommend https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23417 which is about the difference vermicomposting can make as compared to bull manure/mushroom compost. Also, https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23690 can give you tips on where to find more info and setting things up.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

1- 1 - 1 is a decent pay off for a natural fertilizer that replenishes itself and builds a better soil. From a video I watched about how much casting worms produce under optimal conditions I realize now really how remarkable in terms of free fertilizer castings are. on a small scale even it seems to give your pots an edge.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

When we think chemically, 1-1-1 sounds like not so much. But in organic systems where we are feeding biology and lettingg it feed plants, the chemical make-up is secondary to maintaining and sustaining food chains in the soil.

When you look at how worm castings assist those functions, adding mucilage to bind soils, adding microbial inoculants of their own, enzymes that help with mineralization and retention of nutrients, NOT TO MENTION the fertilizer part, then it looks a lot more productive. Try it in your garden and see...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Worm poop is the best thing since sliced bread. However it's not that great actually on sliced bread so... :lol:

But really that would most likely be some very good stuff and blow any other fertilizer out of the water. I would recommend picking some up without hesitation.

Here is a link to another forum members results when using worm castings vs store bought manure/mix. The results are pretty amazing.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23417

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”