gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The ladybugs have arrived! YEAH

I have always been a fan of the ladybug but have learned to love them even more these last few years. They are garden defenders and for that I bow down.

Today I saw something I have never seen though personally. I was planting a tomato plant, not sure if the LB's came from the ground I was digging or what but they were centered right there. (more research needed here :? ) But there it was a Lady bug with it's baby hanging on to it's back.

I just had to stop and take this in. I went about my duties and low and behold there is another LB and than yet another Mom with a kid hanging on. Quite awesome if I must say. :clap:

I just hope this isn't a bad sign of aphids this year. :(

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Maybe I have an over-active imagination...but let me imagine a story:

Mama Ladybug: OK, LittleBug, look carefully. That is an aphid. A-p-h-I-d. Aphid. They taste absolutely wonderful! Here, have one.

LittleBug: [eats aphid] Wow, Mama! I like aphids! :D

Mama: Show me where you see another aphid, LittleBug.

LittleBug: [shows Mama an aphid] Here's one! Can I eat it?

Mama: Sure! Good work! :D You did so well; would you like to walk in front of me and try it for yourself?

[Mama Ladybug and LittleBug sweep the branch clear of aphids. Meanwhile, sisters/aunts, nieces/cousins are sweeping other branches, and the men ladybugs are out on flying patrol.]

Cynthia

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I love it Cynthia, most awesome. :D

This reminds me I bleive it was yesterday I saw a lady bug imposter, the orange spotted one not the red spotted one (can't remember thier name).

I saw this burrowing and grabbed it up and noticed it had 2 aphids hanging out on it. This I'm not down with.

I think the orange one was this https://bugguide.net/node/view/110842

tn_veggie_gardner

Gix: If you get the aphids or spider mites, you have purchased the absolute best defense for them, IMO!!! =) I spent well over $100 a few years ago trying to figure out anything & everything that would get rid of my spider mite infestation that destroyed all 12 of my peppers plants & ladybugs are the only thing that will do it!

- Steve

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Borage

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are so inscrutable, Sage Hermit!

I am growing borage for the first time this year. I grew it for its reputation of being good food for bees. Are you suggesting that ladybugs also like it? Or did you mean that aphids like it (and therefore will come to it not your food crops)? Or that aphids don't like it? OR ???

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I mean its a beneficial insect attractor and an absolutely beautiful plant. btw where did you get your borage

Dixana
Greener Thumb

YAY for the return of the ladybugs
BOOOOO on the return of those godforsaken asian beetle ladybug wannabes that insist on INFESTING my house!!!!!
if anyone knows a good way to kill those little &$*#+! without hurting the ladybugs, my ears are wide open.
If I had magical powers I would set them on fire one by one...
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Easy now Dixana, but if you learn how to burn things like that, let me know would you. :lol:

Borage!

I have it planted, I got mine at a grocery store of all places. I went back a few weeks later and they still had the seed stand but no more Borage. :x Great plant for beneficials I agree.

I have also read that borage is a good companion for tomatoes. Whether that is tru or not who cares it will still look nics and brign the good guy's in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Grew my borage from seeds, which I got from Jung Seeds. Very easy to grow, cold hardy, has been out since March...

tn_veggie_gardner

Please enlighten me on Borage. =) I could Google about it & read for a while, but seriously, what full time working adult with 2 kids and a full garden has time for that?!?! =) That's what online gardening friends are the best for. I am in dire need of some type of mossquito protection plant (there are a few out there) this year. So, if this Borage would do that job & keep away the aphids & mites, it would be insanely ideal!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, no I wouldn't count on borage for any of that. That's why I thought SH was being inscrutable. It's a nice plant with edible leaves and flowers, that was once called "bee's bread," because bees love it. Apparently ladybugs do also. But I would not expect it to do anything for mosquitos, that was a different conversation and I doubt it is aphid repellant either. What it would do against the aphids is just attract the ladybugs.

We have a different thread going on about organic mosquito repellant, check it out:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23072&highlight=

But in it, I said I doubt there is much in the way of plants that will repel mosquitos just by growing there, unless you have a forest of them. Usually the mosquito repellant aroma has to be released by bruising or crushing the leaves.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, a number of years ago, I planted a huge herb garden.
And I had one plant escape. It pops up in the oddest places. Never invasive, just 3 or 4 plants here there and everywhere. They are cute plants, but what is it?

I keep thinking that it is borage, not sure what to do with it, and I can't seem to find a good photo of it. But, I have 2 that self sowed in the garden this year.

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0117_phixr.jpg[/img]

Borage? or what is it?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”