smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Deer or something else?

I'm trying to figure out what's eating my trees and plants. I had a few small (less the 2 ft tall) trees along with some other plants that have been eaten on. I don't know what's doing it. I haven't been able to catch anything even close to them. Right now I put chicken wire around them hoping that will stop what ever it is. I don't know if it's deer or rabbits. My garden on the other hand hasn't been touched. I have spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage all are fine and haven't had a single bite off them. But I do have used kitty litter around my raised beds hoping that would keep the rabbits out. Any ideas?

I found a product called liquid fence and I was wondering if any has used this before and if it works or other solutions for an unknown pest of this sort. I would really like to get rid of all the chicken wire in my yard.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

rabbits won't even 'jump' a six inch fence / barrier.

deer pretty much require hot lead at high velocity to 'cure' the problem - and that's likely only temporary.

no clue about "liquid fence" - if it's "only as seen on TV" you can forget it.

there are a number of liquid compounds you can spray on foliage / plants that are apt to make them so untasty the deer will leave them alone.

past that, it's a wide (not necessarily tall) physical fencing barrier. deer to "up" quite handily, they don't like hopping over (horizontally) wide things.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Well, I went to ACE and they had that liquid fence. So I bought it. When I put it on it stunk like you wouldn't believe but it was only for a second while it dried. We shall see if it works. I'm tempted to put out a plant that they like and just spray around it to see if that works before I start to take down all my fences.

svansyckle
Newly Registered

I've used liquid fence but didn't have much sucess with it... the problem I ran into is that you have to apply this stuff constantly. I think with this repellent it's once a week! I don't have time to do that ... and after a week (or right around that time) I had my rose bush destroyed. Also, this is only a scent deterent ... in my area smell along of egg isn't enough to deter my hungry deer. So now I use a repellent with both capsacin which is like hot pepper and egg ... it's deer off. I bought it as Lowe's for $16. It's more expensive than liquid fence but worth every penny. It's protect my garden really well so far this year and I typically only have to apply it once every month or so ... or when there fresh blooms or growth. I swear by deer off... in fact, I am so impressed I bought some for my friend that was complaining about her deer problems... she's been thanking me endlessly for the last few weeks since she doesn't have any dmaage either! Happy landscaping!

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Thanks everyone. I'm fairly sure it's rabbits that are doing it now. I saw one get up fairly high by sitting on it's hind legs. But nothing really high has been touched so I don't think it's deer.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”