dee1297
Newly Registered

when do I start my veggie garden? In Oregon

I have an indoor greenhouse with a grow light. I've started my peas and am now ready to plant them outside. When do I start my other veggies? corn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, onions, aspargus and potatoes? :D I started them in an outdoor greenhouse at a friend's house last year but I don't remember when we started them. :( any advice will be greatly appreciated. :D

GardenJester

The last frost date. just Google last frost date at your locale. you should start you seedling 6-8 weeks before the last frost date, if you want to have seedling ready to transplant in time. I think Oregon might be zone 5 last frost date would be around mid May. so, now is the time for you to start the seedlings indoors. Make sure to harden your seedlings before you transplant them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Above is a good general answer, but your list

corn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, onions, asparagus and potatoes

is kind of a mixture of stuff.

The lettuce, carrots, and onions are cool weather stuff. If you can plant your peas, you can plant the lettuce carrots and onions, directly in the ground. Mine have sprouted already and we had frost last night again. Onions in fact do well planted in the fall and over wintering.

The asparagus is a perennial. It's rarely started from seed. Usually people buy crowns (roots) of year old or so plants. They are cheap to buy. Planting crowns, it is three years before you can eat (much) asparagus. Starting from seed adds a year to that. If you are going to start them from seed, I'd start them indoors, now. Soak the seeds in water for a couple hours first and then they take about 3 weeks to germinate.

The tomatoes I start indoors 8 wks ahead of the average (50%) last frost date. But note the 50% in there. That means based on 100+ years of historical data, 50% of the years there is no frost after X date. But in these global warming times, generally it is less than 50% of the time there is no frost after that date. Sometimes if you look for last frost date you will find the 90% last frost date. If you have something very tender and expensive or irreplaceable use that one, but otherwise it is excessively conservative and will slow your garden down.

Corn and beans are usually direct seeded in the ground once the soil has warmed up.

Potatoes are usually grown from "sets," that it cut pieces of potato with a sprouted eye.

LawnBoy1285
Newly Registered

Was just talking to my mom about this today. She said wait until the first frost, didnt really know what she meant at first!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”