The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah having used those systems (not top of the line, and I'm sure they have gotten better) resolution is an issue, as is pixalation. I know they have gotten more definition, but it is still hard to get a defined field from the screen; easier with the eyball. I used to adjust it to my eye, then adjust from there to the microcular...

I do see some scopes that have done away with the eyepieces all together...

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

:shock: Microscopic stuff!! >:3 cool!! :hide:

dan1003

Toil, in case you haven't already, make sure to get some microscopy stains. Most of the interesting stuff is nearly transparent. You'll see way more and depending on the type of stain, you can make some educated guesses as to what species you are looking at. Methylene blue is probably the easiest to use and very cheap, while a Gram stain kit will be more diagnostic. I also found a cool paper on staining for mycorrhizal fungus: [url]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC90956/[/url]

While you're at it, get some Protoslo ([url]https://www.carolina.com/product/885141.do[/url]) if you want to see protozoa. Most want to avoid the bright light of your microscope and move almost too fast to see (except amoeba, of course).

Toil
Greener Thumb

well it comes with some custom filters for doing that with live microbes. The pics on the website look good. I've been warned there is a steep learning curve for the filters.

but I do have a lab supply place nearby

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah I learned flagellates and cilliates on the first day and had the difference between actinobacters and fungal hyphae on day two, but it took me about a month and a half to spot my first amoeba, despite the prevalence. Without a stain they are incredibly hard to spot...

Sounds like you have some experience Dan...

HG

dan1003

:) Not in soil microbiology, but I did biomedical research for 5 summers which included LOTS of microscopy. There definitely is that learning curve, but it's pretty rewarding once you start to figure things out.

Toil
Greener Thumb

dan that is cool. I will have lots of questions for you!

I'm not sure if I should post the site with shots taken through the filters as the guys sells his microscopes there as well.

comfylawn
Newly Registered

Microbe organics is an excellent site. Tim has some great pics and a DVD available on ID and everything. I bought my scope of him.

https://www.microbeorganics.com/

Toil
Greener Thumb

Hey that's where I got my scope and DVDs.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am looking for a microscope. In another forum, I am learning to do such mundane and yucky things as fecal samples for my animals!

They posted links to slides of the various parasites in various stages, and times to look for them.

So, if we use the microscope also for garden applications, what exactly are we looking for? Besides just having fun with it?

Toil
Greener Thumb

It's just another way to get information about your soil. More is always better!

What pushed me over the edge was a trip to the dermatologist. He took a scraping and told me he was going to look at it under the scope.

"cool! Can I look as well?"

"no."

there are so many things I want to see besides soil. Like the mucelage from my sundews, bokashi, EM, you name
it!

comfylawn
Newly Registered

You're looking for microbial concentrations: bacteria, fungi, nematodes, protozoa and other exciting stuff. You basically want to determine what their populations are and if you need to add more through compost and compost teas. Those microbes break down organic matter and feed the plant

Toil
Greener Thumb

Hey, sounds like you do it?

Any tips? I am planning to self teach. For now the plan is just to identify reliably. I want to tie it to weed ID, by noting the weed and some prominent critters.

Plate counts I am leaving for later.

Sound reasonable?

I am a nerd. And proud!

comfylawn
Newly Registered

Self taught is what I did concerning the scope. Sending out for a bioassay is really expensive. The reason I bought my scope off microbe organics A: good deal(I thought) B: It came with the DVD"S on teaching myself as well the calculations of figuring out the populations. Now my lawn customers are more inclined to have the test done now that I charge them say 1/3 of the cost as it would if I sent to SFW inc. Sure my counts and print outs aren't as precise and flashy as theirs but it does give me a rough idea.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Right on, CL; a field count on your scope isn't a bioassay with SFW, but it can get you in the ballpark if not on base. I still would like to know what I have for nematode species, and I'll be darned if I can suss out active to inactive ratios on the SFI assay, but I do know good soil when I am looking at it in the scope. Too many cilliates? Probably compacted because it's certainly low on O2. Lots of bacteria and no protozoa? SOMETHING polluted it because a mast food source with no predators is an ecosystem gone wrong... no fungal mass? Houston, we have a problem...

Just more good information...

HG

Toil
Greener Thumb

it came it came!

I am setting it up tomorrow. Just watching the dvds for now.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”