Toil
Greener Thumb

To attract worms I have a secret weapon: bokashi.

For nightcrawlers, you need leaves. I like to watch the surface of my raised bed for long stretches in the morning. Sometimes I hear a rustle, and a leaf will shake, heave, and poof! Disappear underground. It's a worm taking it down to its burrow

but if your pH is low nightcrawlers won't come. So you can encourage bacteria if you don't want to lime. There are books that detail the process.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Toil wrote:Hmm gixx you will get my meaning soon enough!

No you can't have too many worms In a veggie garden.

But if I were doing asparagus it might tell me to encourage more fungi to lower pH.
Not sure what you are getting at. I bleive the worms I have are nightcrawlers though. Are you trying to say my pH is around 7?

I planted some nasturtiums inf the front garden today and there they are again by the handful.

I do know that there can't be too many worms, unless of course there were more worms than dirt.

And thanks for the birthday wishes.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

I'm so excited! When I first planted my garden back in 2010 I had zero worms. At that same time I began composting on the ground with a thick black plastic sheet rolled into an upright circle (with lots of holes for aeration--then I dropped waste into the top of it and watered and turned occasionally).

Back then I had no worms in my compost or in my garden. The next two years I still noticed zero worms. I was so sad. I didn't know what to think. I considered buying some to throw in, but decided against that, because I wanted to be sure my compost and garden were the right conditions to attract their own worms. While I produced awesome crops in my 10x12 raised lasagna garden, (7' or taller tomatoes with large fruit) I had no worms.

Then this spring while gleaning my compost we dug into a huge ball of WORMS! YEA!! We quickly rescued the ball and threw it into the garden. (probably should have put them back on top of the heap.)

I also noticed in my front yard two weeks ago (where I rarely dig) there are a LOT of worms, so while digging to plant some new flowers there, I couldn't bear to let the worms die or not be happy, I threw them into the garden as well.

Well over the weekend I was doing some planting in the garden and with almost every dig I started seeing WORMS! Yay!! My garden is happily supporting worms now. I hope they like their home and choose to stay for a very long time.

I plan to continue doing what I've been doing for the past couple of years. I suppose now the original materials I used to start my lasagna garden have finally decomposed. My soil is beautiful rich, black soil. I throw in whatever compost is ready (and some that is not) each spring. I add a little peat moss (yes, I know it's not environmentally friendly but . . .) and otherwise, I leave it alone. In winter, it just sits there developing lots of hidden weeds which magically appear in the spring. I get rid of them (and sadly have been placing them in my yard waste bin for the trash--just read today in this forum that weeds are ok for compost??) But anyway, I pull them get rid of them, and start all over.

I've enjoyed lots of delicious veggies every year. This year, I am growing specifically for juicing along with just enjoying the fresh veggies for cooking. I wish I could turn my entire back yard into a garden. But I can't since this is rental property.

I am doing some container gardening as well, and also using the fence line this year for the first time to get some extra mileage out of my yard. The soil is not amended, but we'll see what happens. Happy gardening everyone!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What a nice feeling to know you are building rich, fertile, moisture holding soil, full of life, where none was before!

OF COURSE weeds can go in the compost pile. Just try to be sure you pull them before they go to seed (which you would want to do any way). The only possible problem with weeds in the compost pile would be if they had gone to seed and were full of seeds. But even that isn't such a big deal. Most of the seeds will get broken down in the composting process anyway.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:OF COURSE weeds can go in the compost pile. Just try to be sure you pull them before they go to seed (which you would want to do any way). The only possible problem with weeds in the compost pile would be if they had gone to seed and were full of seeds. But even that isn't such a big deal. Most of the seeds will get broken down in the composting process anyway.
Thanks for your reply Rainbow. I'll try adding the weeds before they go to seed and see what happens. Worse case I suppose is more to pull later. But they come up fairly easily. My DB does that part of the work for me anyway. :() I get the really fun part--HARVESTING! I love it!

mattie g
Green Thumb

I've got a pretty thriving colony of worms in my garden, too. It's not teeming with them, but if I were to grab all the worms in each spadeful of dirt I turn over, I'd probably get a nice handful. I also have lots of grubs in there, which isn't so great, but my puit mix loves a nice crunchy protein snack, so he takes care of them. :lol:

Over the last few years, as I've been adding compost to my garden as much as possible (primarily in the holes I plant my seedling in), I've noticed an increase in the number of worms. They obviously like what I'm doing. I don't use any non-organic fertilizers to my garden, and I'm getting really good production from it...so they must be helping me get it right!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

what is a puit mix?

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:what is a puit mix?
Dang fat fingers!

I meant my (man's) best friend - he's a pit bull (AmStaff) mix. He loves him some white grubs!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, I usually never call people on typos -- we all do them. I just really wasn't sure about that, whether it was a dog or a bird or ??

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Sorry, I usually never call people on typos -- we all do them. I just really wasn't sure about that, whether it was a dog or a bird or ??
No worries! I'm a grammar nazi, and hate to see typos of my own!

I just think it's funny that a dog that many think is a man-eater is wild about eating little white grubs..and wouldn't think of doing anything but lick a person to death!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I know that pit bulls vary as much in temperament and how they have been raised, etc, as all the rest of us. But I just finished meeting with a client who was attacked by two pit bulls, who were going for her jugular. She nearly died and she still has the scars and the PTSD to prove it, two years later. I'm sure your friend would never do that, but some pits definitely do.

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Well, I know that pit bulls vary as much in temperament and how they have been raised, etc, as all the rest of us. But I just finished meeting with a client who was attacked by two pit bulls, who were going for her jugular. She nearly died and she still has the scars and the PTSD to prove it, two years later. I'm sure your friend would never do that, but some pits definitely do.
It's all how dogs are raised. Plain and simple. Unfortunately, the scum of the earth are attracted to the bigger, tougher-looking dogs (pits, rotties, etc.), and raise them the wrong way.

We've got a four-month-old little girl, and my boy adores her...and is supremely patient with her! :lol: I couldn't ask for a better companion.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Gottla love the pits. my neighbors 8 month old's best friend is my pit bull, my killer pit bull that is.

RBG I am more worried about my neighbors Lab than I am about my killer pit bull. Actually I am not worried at all about my dog.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

I think this feed has gotten way off topic. It's about worms, not pit bulls. Not trying to upset anyone, it's just that when I get a notification, I want to read about what I thought the subject is supposed to be. In this case, "Is there such a thing as too many worms?" Ok, one or two off topic posts is fine, but this one has gone on for several.

imafan26
Mod

Happy Birthday Gixx

imafan26
Mod

Happy Birthday Gixx

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”