Sengyan

Sea Magic

Has anyone used a seaweed base fertilizer called Sea Magic. It is said to be derived from a high grade seaweed called Ascophyllum Nosodum. It is sold out of Winnepeg, Manitoba, for $9.95 ( 30g package which makes more than 250L) The advert. has made 9 claims for its effectiveness for all flowers and fruits. Please post experiences.

Sengyan

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ascophyllum is closely related to the the seaweed called fucus that children dry and pop the bladders.

Fucus is very nutrient rich, as are most brown algaes so, it should be good stuff. Of course, if you happen to live on a coast, the cheapest and best thing you can do is go down to the beach and collect a myriad of seaweeds.

garden_mom

Important thing to remember about using collected seaweed: rinse, rinse, rinse with fresh water before you dig it into the ground or into your compost. You don't want all the salt killing your garden. I read about a woman who lives on the coast and thats what she does, and she has the best soil around because of all the seaweed.

Sengyan

Opabinia and garden_mom. Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I live in landlock Edmonton and will have to depend on manufactured stuff. I would expect this seaweed fertilizer would come from either B.C. or the Maritimes, but this is made in Manitoba!

Sengyan

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”